Unbelievable

exiled
Contributor
Contributor

10 dollar chargeback to my account. I call Pay Pal. Thirty minute wait. I call Pay Pal Credit, get through but no help. Get a call back from Pay Pal. Speak to Pay Pal, transferred to Disputes. No help and get disconnected somehow. Call Pay Pal. Thirty minute wait. Call Pay Pal Credit, get supervisor, no help, transfer me to Disputes. No help and get disconnected again. Call Pay Pal. Thirty minute wait. Get call back, transfer to Disputes, get supervisor. Supevisor agrees with me. Total elapsed time 2 hours and 30 minutes. Issue: It is claimed that someone other than buyer purchased Ebay item. My take on the dispute: 1) 3+ month old transaction. Item purchased and shipped. I have the shipping receipt at home with tracking but not in hand at the moment. Buyer claims someone else used credit card information. 2) I refuse Pay Pal demand to provide tracking information as requested. 3) Dispute is not about arrival or non-arrival of item so tracking is not relevant. 3) Buyer did not claim item non-arrival. 4) Buyer did not return item I shipped. 5) Dispute is between buyer and credit card company about illegal use of credit card number. THIS IS NOT MY PROBLEM. WHY IS PAY PAL CHARGING MY ACCOUNT 10 DOLLARS? THIS IS STRONG ARM ROBBERY. BOTTOM LINE: PAY PAL INAPPROPRIATELY INVOLVES ME IN A DISPUTE THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS TERRIBLE.   When Pay Pal was the cash cow of Ebay, customer service was exceptionally good. Now that Pay Pal is maximizing profit at the expense of customer service, that service is terrible. Finally, why why why is Pay Pal charging my account ten dollars. Because it can, not because it is the correct thing to do. You should ask yourself: Do I really want to continue to to do business with a company that treats long time, high value customers (500 transactions per year) so poorly. I plan to look for alternatives and so should you.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

exiled
Contributor
Contributor

What PayPal did poorly and suggestions for improvement:

The first thing PayPal did was to impose a negative ten dollar value on my PayPal account.

• Assumes guilty until proven innocent. I suggest that PayPal resolve the issue first before making a dollar claim.
  • Guaranteed to make the PayPal client/customer irate. I suggest that PayPal take actions that are not hostile and bullying when dealing with their client/customers.
  • Uses non-transparent PayPal procedures to take (or put a hold on) money that does not belong to PayPal. I suggest that PayPal finform the customer and get feedback from the customer on the issue before taking a unilateral action. I suggest that PayPal consider the magnitude and length of the business relationship prior to any unilateral action.

States that the account dollar freeze was to get the attention of the PayPal client/customer

• Condescending language. I suggest that PayPal find other, less imperious ways to inform the customer about the dispute.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@exiled

An unauthorised dispute means that the account holders account has been hijacked and used without their consent, so any item may or may not have gone to the account holder.

If paypal find this is possibly the truth then of course the account holder needs his funds back BUT you would also be reimbursed as long as you met all the requirements of seller protection.

One of those requirements is to provide a tracking number to prove you sent the item to the registered address of the account holder at the time of the transaction.............you refused so you lost your seller protection.

If you had provided it and you had met the rest of the requirements then paypal would have reimbursed you.

Paypal give you seller protection but the onus is on you to provide the information requested to qualify for it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

exiled
Contributor
Contributor

I do not want Pay Pal seller protection. I want protection against illegal claims on my account. Pay Pal has no right to make any demands on me because I am NOT a party to the dispute.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@exiled

I do not want Pay Pal seller protection

Thats ok then as you didn't get it.

The claim was not illegal as its clearly laid out in the LEGAL user agreement you agreed to when you joined.

However you would not have lost any money if you had just provided the info paypal asked for.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

exiled
Contributor
Contributor

I have filed a complaint with the US Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. I do not appreciate being bullied by Pay Pal.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@exiled

Paypal offers you protection so you would not lose your money and you refuse it. As you titled this thread ''unbelievable''.

Good luck with that one   Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too
Solved

exiled
Contributor
Contributor

What PayPal did poorly and suggestions for improvement:

The first thing PayPal did was to impose a negative ten dollar value on my PayPal account.

• Assumes guilty until proven innocent. I suggest that PayPal resolve the issue first before making a dollar claim.
  • Guaranteed to make the PayPal client/customer irate. I suggest that PayPal take actions that are not hostile and bullying when dealing with their client/customers.
  • Uses non-transparent PayPal procedures to take (or put a hold on) money that does not belong to PayPal. I suggest that PayPal finform the customer and get feedback from the customer on the issue before taking a unilateral action. I suggest that PayPal consider the magnitude and length of the business relationship prior to any unilateral action.

States that the account dollar freeze was to get the attention of the PayPal client/customer

• Condescending language. I suggest that PayPal find other, less imperious ways to inform the customer about the dispute.

Login to Me Too

FTS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

"I refuse Pay Pal demand to provide tracking information as requested."

So, you got what you wanted - no protection.

What's the complaint?

Login to Me Too

exiled
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Mr. McElmeel, Operations Counsel, PayPal, Omaha NE

I am in receipt of your letter of April 4, 2017 responding to my Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Complaint No: 170322-000259.

Unfortunately, your letter does not address my issues. In the following I list my issues so you may respond to each directly, if you so choose.

1) PayPal does not offer client/customers the ability to opt out from receiving credit card payments. I, for one, would gladly forgo the option of credit payments rather than suffer the improper, unethical and probably illegal chargeback procedures detailed in your response letter.

2) As a matter of policy, I do not accept chargebacks to my Pay Pal account unless the sold and shipped item is returned to me or unless I agree that I made a mistake that warrants a chargeback. By taking a commission for acting as my service provider, PayPal agrees to abide by my policy. However, I agree that I have signed a User Agreement that gives PayPal the right to adjudicate disputes if there is no agreement on a final resolution of an issue between myself and another PayPal customer.

3) I do not agree that PayPal has the unilateral right to but a hold on funds in my PayPal account or to unilaterally extract funds from my PayPal account. I demand that PayPal first investigate the merits of any claim and take advisement from me first before making any claims on funds in my PayPal account. In the case at issue, PayPal claimed my funds without seeking my input. That action is NOT acceptable.

4) Please provide me with more detailed information on the PayPal policy for claiming funds from client/customer accounts. I wish to point out that, as you know, PayPal is a not an FDIC bank. However, PayPal acts to convince customers that funds in PayPal accounts are safe and that PayPal clients should allow funds to remain on account, suggesting that PayPal is as safe as an FDIC bank. The US CFPB may take issue with PayPal actions that mislead customers about the safety of PayPal account funds. If my funds are not safe in a PayPal account, that is an issue that needs to be brought to the attention of the US CFPB. PayPal, by its actions in this case, is improperly suggesting that banked funds are safe, when if fact, PayPal takes overt action against the safety of those funds. Finally, PayPal does not appear to have any formal dispute resolution or arbitration procedure to ensure the safety of those funds.If PayPal cannot or will not provide better justification for PayPal actions in this case, I have no choice but to continue my case complaint with the US CFPB. 
Login to Me Too

exiled
Contributor
Contributor

The letter from Mr. McElmeel (PayPal) stated that the buyer dropped the chargeback claim with their credit card company. So I had deal with all the PayPal BS for no actual reason. Thank you PayPal for wasting my valuable time. Maybe you should try offering an apology.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.