Unavoidable Currency Exchange

currencyvictim
New Community Member

So I have a USD currency account and a CAD currency account at my bank.  When i am paid on PayPal in USD, it would make sense for me to be able to withdraw my USD funds from my PayPal account and put them in my USD currency bank account.  However, PayPal will automatically convert my USD to CAD, simply because my bank accounts are at a Canadian bank, even though the account is in USD currency.  Even more frustrating, is that PayPal does this exchange at a punitive rate, and they also charge a fee to do it.  End result: even though i have a USD currency account, my USD PayPal funds get converted to CAD, and there's no way around it.  They even had the gall to tell me to find a friend with a bank account in the US, transfer the money to them, and go pay them a visit!  Wow. Thanks PayPal customer service for your brilliant suggestion. Complete idiots.  

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

in2world
New Community Member

Just want to mark this is still the case as of my post today. What a shame.

Login to Me Too

nchoobac

I cannot believe that this is a thing and people still use this service.

Login to Me Too

polevoya
Contributor
Contributor

I don't actually believe they are idiots, I think this is the strategy, they intentionally make profitable for them rules on our expense without any shame; 

I just spent more than 2 hours talking to PayPal about the same situation - hopeless… talked to a representative, her supervisor, her manager. They tell you what they are trained to tell and not what you are asking.

First they try to pin it on my bank and tell that this is my bank rules - absolutely not true, I talked to the bank.

When they confronted, it immediately became their “rule” and there is nobody else to solve the situation.

Funny thing that on this very community forum I found that PayPal reply to a similar complaint and allowed a Croatian man receive US currency in Croatia in 2014, take a look at PayPal response 

/t5/About-Settings/Withdrawing-money-in-USD-instead-of-my-local-currency/td-p/827982

When I mentioned it to PayPal (and I talked to a customer service representative - don’t remember the name, then to her supervisor Jaqueline and then to her manager Adam), they simply at all costs were trying to avoid the question. Customer beware - another business that works like there is no tomorrow model
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.