Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Obviously NOT from PayPal as it is from payapal.com

PayPal will not send messages like this.

Check your PayPal account for activity and respond to any PayPal messages when you log into your PayPal account on a computer.

Forward the messae to spoof at PayPal.com

Login to Me Too

h-squared

Glad I came and read the posts about this Western Union "pick up agent" fee scam... Just got email about something I offered to sell:

Hello ,
  I was just about to book the pick up schedule with the pick up agent
when i had a problem about their payment method.They are only
accepting payment through western union money transfer but i am
currently on sea due to my status of work,so i want to add the pick up
agent  fee to your item cost price credited to your paypal account and
the pick up fee is ($350.00) so i will be crediting the total amount
of ($650.00) the extra ($50.00) is for the western union transfer fee
for you to transfer the pick up agent fee through western union.Once i
have these done and you have pick up agent fee sent to them,the pick
up arrangement will be scheduled,just wanted to let you know before i
proceed with the payment,please advice and i will be looking forward...
and get back to me your..

KUDOS to all the folks who posted about this scam!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@h-squared

Yep been ongoing for years and all over this forum and the internet.

Glad you were not caught out.

Just remember  >>

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

h-squared

Thank goodness you had these posts in your community forum!

I thought it was kind of strange that "Western Union" was the method of payment when so many shippers accept visa and MasterCard right over the phone or internet...

Thanks again for the warning!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@h-squared

Not my forum anymore than its your forum. I don't work or have anything to do with paypal. I am a ''user'' here the same as you are. Its just when you have helped a long time they make you an advisor.......i am just a volunteer.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Pottertons
Contributor
Contributor

For some time now I have frequently been receiving suspicious messages. The strange this is, the PayPal account in question is linked to an email address that I have NEVER had a PayPal account with before. 

I usually just delete them and never open them, but it gets a bit annoying when they're littering my inbox. 

Is anyone able to give some pointers on where to go from here? Forward them to the spoof address? 

Login to Me Too

gustavtl
New Community Member

I got a mail from <removed> where they asked me to click on a link to read through their new legal agreements.

The mail was sent into my junk folder and I haven't recieved any mails from there before, and after looking around on the web I didn't seem to find if it was legit or not. So my question is: is <removed> from hte legitimate paypal or is it a scam of some sort. I did click on the link they provided and wasn't asked to log in anywhere but it did redirect me multiple times.

Login to Me Too

I posted a car on CL today.    Shortly after I gota text which seemed to be a direct cut and paste of my ad.      The alleged buyer asked a few questions about car and then offered me my full asking price.    He only saw pics I posted on CL and we never spoke.     He of course asked me for my paypal address and gave me an example of his - which was probably fake.     I wrote back and told him cash only and of course I have not heard anything else.    I blocked my number and called his cell that he texted me from and it was a text line which allowed voice mails.    I told him a few choice words about being a scammer.      Im glad the previous posts were here, because I did not know about this type scam however I was suspicious.    I only had used my pay pal for EBAY purchases people  made from me.      Now as I'm writing this I'm getting more text messages offering me certified checks and paypal payments for car-     ridiculous

Login to Me Too

mmasl1
New Community Member

Received the following email. Tried to forward to PayPal - but it's not going through. Posting here. Beware of this scam!!! My phone doesn't show sender's address right away and I didn't realize it's scam right away. 

PayPal logo  Mar 16, 2017 07:35:47 PDT
Receipt No: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (edited)
Hello ,
You have authorized a payment to spydersurf.com
This charge will appear on your credit card statement as payment .
Merchant information
Shopify Merchant
<removed>
<removed>
Instructions to merchant
None provided
Shipping information
<removed>
Shipping method
Overseas International Shipping 11-30 Days
Description   Price  
GOPRO HERO4 SESSION SURF EDITION   $201.00  

Receipt No: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (edited)
Please keep this receipt number for future reference. You'll need it if you contact customer service at spydersurf.com or PayPal.
Use next time!

If this not your transaction, we will help the process of recovery refund and protect your account. pressing the button below
Recovery My Account
Questions? Visit the Help Center at: www.paypal.com/help.
Thanks for using ΡayΡaI Expres Checkout the safer, easier way to pay and get paid online.
Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mmasl1

Yep, scammers always put a link in an email to ''recover your account'' or '' cancel a payment or subscription''.

Paypal would not do that. If there were problems with your account they would direct you to the resolution centre OR ask you to contact them via phone.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.