Rant - Sold item on eBay, Buyer fraudulently disputes transaction on PayPal, PP sides with buyer

pw988

TL;DR:

-I am a verified member since '90's and 100% feedback on ebay

-Sold a new cosmetic item for my wife on eBay

-Buyer asks to return it because they needed the money "got a ticket"

-Buyer changes story saying it's defective and then changes it again saying that it's fake

-I provide evidence to PP multiple times showing buyer's remorse

-Paypal sides with buyer and allows return

-I speak with a supervisor and he agrees it's buyer's remorse

-I receive item that has been destroyed by buyer

-I open up appeal

-PP sides with buyer

I want to start off by saying that I have been a long time member since the inception of eBay and PayPal. I do buy and sell leisurely on eBay--my primary use for my PayPal account.

I sold a cosmetic item that's NIB for my wife on eBay.  Auction states all sales are final.  I receive a return request because "they got a ticket and needed the money".  Later on, they message me saying the item is fake after I had denied the request.  After unsuccessfully returning the item through eBay, they go and open a dispute case with PP.  PP unfortunately sides with them but when I call the support number and speak with a manager, they agree the evidence I provided shows buyer's remorse.  However, since PP had already sent the email out, I had no choice but to accept their return.  The manager stated that they will cover any losses I incur.  Upon receipt, the item has been used, packaging destroyed.  

I messed up by clicking the "item received" button in the dispute center.  It automatically refunds the buyer and nowhere does it allow me to specify that the item I received was not in the same condition.  I open an appeal, provide PP with communication from buyer as well as what the item looked like upon return.  PP just closed the appeal minutes ago siding with the buyer.

It's unfortunate that PayPal is letting scammers and fraudulent users get their way.  All the evidence I have presented clearly shows this so I'm not really even sure how or why this decision was made. I'm going to try to reach a supervisor in the morning and see how that goes.  

Any advice is appreciated.  

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pw988

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute it is always one persons word against another.

Paypal don't know if the buyer was telling the truth when they got the item and equally they don't know if you were telling the truth when you got the item back.

So generally they find in favour of the buyer BUT the buyer has to send the item back to you before you have to refund.

Sometimes an appeal will work and sometimes not but I'm afraid if you are a seller you have to expect the odd bad buyer and move one.......not worth the stress of pursueing it if the appeal fails.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pw988

I sell here and there just to get rid of stuff I no longer need or want.  In this case, it was for a cosmetic item my wife bought and since then, became a rarity to have.  

In my case though, I have evidence from eBay through correspondence with the buyer showing that they're basically giving every reason they can to do a return.  eBay did not side with them so they went to PayPal and made fraudulent claims.  

Not sure I should be posting screen names here so I blocked out the names. Here are a few screenshots in my Dropbox of what I'm referring to:

Buyer wanting to return because she got a ticket

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3dffcy7ii0ksby1/Screenshot%202016-05-19%2022.20.24.png?dl=0

Buyer saying my item is defective

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aenwlnkoan621ts/Screenshot%202016-05-19%2022.19.06.png?dl=0

Buyer accusing my product of being fake

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nubsr5wtfhfx8h/Screenshot%202016-05-19%2022.25.25.png?dl=0

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.