Paypal is asking for my ssn social security number as a buyer. Not legal.

SunnyIsles
New Community Member

I have been verified, confirmed, had bank account linked, and provided cell number with key verification for many years now. I recently wanted to buy a $4,000 item and pay via my linked bank account but paypal said they needed my ssn before processing payment.

Folks, there is no law or government regulation that requires a payment processor to collect ssn from a buyer. The only time, as a buyer you are required to provide your ssn is when you are applying for credit from a lender.

Not the case here since paypal is a payment processor using my money (bank account) or my credit card with another lender unrelated to paypal.

Google and you will see many people reported having ID theft after providing their ssn.

Unfortunately for paypal and ebay, many sellers of luxury goods process credit cards payments. So many buyers are closing transactions outside ebay and saving the ebay fees while still being protected by their credit card.

Many sellers are also using amazon which does not require ssn from buyers.

For sellers, because of IRS reporting requirements for 1099, you are required as a seller to provide your ssn or fein. NOT FOR BUYERS FOLKS.

Stand up for your ssn privacy and protect your credit!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Did you have the option to purchase as a guest?

Login to Me Too

Constituent
New Community Member

I had this happen to me just now.  I was trying to pay a relatively large Paypal invoice, and it suddenly asked for my entire SS#.  I already have linked bank account, cc, and a long history of sending money with PP.  I also don't sell anything, so I've never received money via PP either.  As the OP stated, you don't need my SS# for tax purposes if I don't pay income tax on money I spend.  Anyway, I called PP's line and they were telling me it had to do with the Homeland Security Act and the need for multiple forms of ID.  As I was speaking to them, I tried doing the transaction on my desktop computer (my earlier attempt was on my phone).  It went through without a problem, and it didn't ask for my SS#.  Apparently large transactions made over a cell phone can trigger a heightened security process with PP, and that is why I was suddenly seeing that request for my SS#.  I decided to post this in case other buyers have a similar problem.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AdamD

Hi Constituent -

I'm glad you are concerned about providing sensitive documents online. We have more information about why this is happening here. Typically we would only need to request copies of the physical documents if the information is not verifying electronically.

- Adan

Login to Me Too

Therootsjourney
New Community Member

I am a hair braider and opened my PayPal 4 years ago under my business name. PayPal never asked me to give my social. They asked to attached bank account, credit card, and verify it, which I did. Recently, 6 of my clients paid me $10 each for appointment rsvp, so $60 that is now stuck in PayPal because now, they want me to change the name from my business to my real name and for that they want my full social. For 4 years, it's never been a problem, and now all of a sudden, my account is frozen. So to unfreeze the account, they ask for few documents : ID, bill, bank and the social. 

I took a big risk by uploading my ID, my utility bill, my cc but refused to upload the full social. Even here in the US, the full social is never asked, only the 4 last digit and some people in Ireland, the Philippines or wherever, are asking me to give them my social in the name of PayPal. No, You have no right to be asking people for their full social. The internet is a very dangerous place and I already took a huge risk by sending you my ID, bill and CC. I want you to unfreeze my account so I can leave. This is becoming crazy. People verify their PayPal with their respective banks and now you want to turn into the bank itself. Fix my problem and let me go. You can t ask for the full social. 

Login to Me Too

Jo1615
New Community Member

I have purchased things using PayPal exclusively for decades and I called their *customer service* to ask them directly why this practice is now in place?  My reply over the phone was because I have a P.O. box I was flagged.  This person cited the Patriots Act in telling me about this to which  I promptly denied giving him my SSN.  At this time the conversation was practically over with him citing that without one of the required things in pace ALL of them had to be there.  Without one of them required he would not process the lift on my Restricted account.  I am not a SELLER I am a buyer and have trusted PayPal to facilitate my payments for decades.. now, I will not be giving them my SSN and am told by the same person that this will cost me my account as of March 2018.  Personally, I feel this is a violation of my rights any way you look at it and with fraud running rampant many banks in the USA are not going to touch Paypal.  Also, just saying this individual said they were a BANK in the UK is this accurate?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.