Paypal horror story: $7,500 return to scammer lost in mail. What to do next?

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor

It's absolutely a horror story. About three months ago already, I purchased a collectible from a man in the UK for $7,450. When it arrived, I was pretty excited, but then immediately horrified when I saw that he had sent me an absolutely useless item in its place. So, obviously, I immediately took the steps to file a case. I also sent the seller an email. Surprise! No response.

[A little later, I also contacted the Northamptonshire police department, who filed a fraud report with Action Fraud on my behalf. Apparently, this same guy had sold this same item 3 other times. A scam running approximately $30,000.]

After I escalated the case, PayPal requested that I provide documentation that the item was not as described. I sent in photographs of how the items obviously differed. "Not acceptable evidence." So I had to drive all over the place to find a dealer (there wasn't a local one due to the uncommon nature of the collectible), and then wait for them to draft up a letter--a $30 valuation service.

I sent the letter in and finally PayPal allowed me to return the item. Imagine that. I provided documentation that the item I received was worthless, and was required to send it back to the UK for my $7,450 refund. I called PayPal and talked to a representative asking about the best way to ensure I would get my money back and whether or not I would have to insure the item. She assured me that because I provided documentation that the item was valueless, I would not have to insure the item.

I went to the post office and sent the package back via registered mail, paying around $30. I updated the case with the proper information on the 9th, and have been checking every single day, awaiting its return.

As I was checking, I saw a little note on the claim that said "PayPal will contact you if further information is required by June 17th." I thought this was odd, since that date had already passed (it was around the 20th by then). So I called and was assured that everything would by fine, and that the date would automatically update to around July 7th to be checked for delivery.

Today, at 9:37PM, I received an email from PayPal saying that they CLOSED my claim. To me, this seems completely boundless and unreasonable. I called PayPal, unbelievably frustrated and horrified, and was informed that NO MATTER WHAT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING IF THE MAIL COURIER TRUCK WERE TO EXPLODE WITH THE RETURN INSIDE, PayPal could not return my payment unless delivery receipt was confirmed.

I have filed an inquiry with USPS to track my registered mail. And now I am writing this, because I am at my wit's end. Please, for the love of God, tell me what I did wrong and what I can fix.

Login to Me Too
49 REPLIES 49

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor
Trisha, I get that this is what is "written in the terms of use," but it's absolute rubbish. I have proven beyond doubt that I was scammed and PayPal has closed the case for absolutely no reason, while I am waiting for the package to be delivered. And actually, since all PayPal agents are apparently lawyers, the terms state "you must get signature confirmation of delivery." I purchased USPS "Signature Confirmation," which I believe is 'getting signature confirmation of delivery,' regardless of whether or not the package has been delivered yet. I don't know how you can metaphorically look me in the eye and say "sorry, the package that is worth absolutely nothing got lost and we know you got scammed, but we're going to condone the scammer's actions anyway because issues with the international post are your fault, even though you paid $30 to have the most secure mailing service possible."
Login to Me Too

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor
So don't tell me that you "hope the information helps." What in the **bleep** am I supposed to do with your information? Forward it to the scammer?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Tricia i think the point is that whilst we know that a buyer should send an item back to the seller trackable to prove delivery, this buyer was told by a customer services agent not to bother to insure the item.

So by taking the advice of an agent employed by paypal he ended up losing heck of a lot of money.

Is this fair? Should paypal not stand by the advice given by that agent and agree there is a modicum of leeway on this dispute as the agent himself caused the problem in the first place??

If i make a mistake i stand up and say it and apologise and do everything i can do put it right, so surely as this buyer has done everything asked of him apart from fly to England to get a signature for the item it is unfair for him to lose out.

Otherwise why am i here on this board doing my best to save people from being scammed if your agents are not doing the same to help those that are??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor
Well said. Thank you very much for helping me out through all of this. If anything, it's good to have at least one non-negative opinion 🙂
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Tricia

Hello Alexe123 and kernowlass,

I understand that these situations can be frustrating.

If you would like to get ahold of us on Facebook, Twitter, or contact us via phone we would be glad to look at the account specific information.

We're here to help Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Tricia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor
I talked to an agent, the day the case was closed. I am going to call again and ask for a supervisor.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

When you shipped the return, did you value the package at a high amount on the customs form?  It might be stuck at customs depending how much and the seller has to pay import/customs fees in order to receive the package which is probably why the package is not marked as delivered.  Try tracking the package at Royal Mail's website too as tracking for Registered Mail stops getting tracked once the shipment leaves the US territory.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor
It was valued at $5, because the item he shipped me had no intrinsic value at all. That's another freaking hole in the PayPal 'protection.' What if he refuses to have it imported?? What reason does a scammer have to take a return that will make him forfeit his ill gotten gains?
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Alright, so import/customs fees shouldn't be causing delay of delivery.  Keep on top of Royal Mail until delivery is confirmed and then file an appeal with evidence of delivery.  Definitely a pain in the you know what when delivery time is crucial to the claim.  With that much $ at stake, I might've even consider sending the return USPS Global Express Guaranteed (1-3 days) or PMI Express (3-5 days) so PayPal don't prematurely close the claim.

Good luck.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor
In retrospect I obviously should've chosen another service, but I was made unclear as to whether or not it needed to be jnsured, etc. I assumed that if I were lost, I would just pay the difference--as if a seller's item got lost and refunded the buyer. That's why nothing made sense, as the item is complete garbage, and it doesn't make sense to send it back. I just cannot understand for the life of me how returning and item is help from PayPal. Is PayPal really so naive (or idiotic) to believe that a scammer wouldn't have something up his sleeve to prevent package delivery and therefore collect??? I am infernally frustrated. Odds are, if that's all he needs to do, in spite of ALL the evidence I've brought forward, he'll find a way to do it!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.