Paypal horror story: $7,500 return to scammer lost in mail. What to do next?

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor

It's absolutely a horror story. About three months ago already, I purchased a collectible from a man in the UK for $7,450. When it arrived, I was pretty excited, but then immediately horrified when I saw that he had sent me an absolutely useless item in its place. So, obviously, I immediately took the steps to file a case. I also sent the seller an email. Surprise! No response.

[A little later, I also contacted the Northamptonshire police department, who filed a fraud report with Action Fraud on my behalf. Apparently, this same guy had sold this same item 3 other times. A scam running approximately $30,000.]

After I escalated the case, PayPal requested that I provide documentation that the item was not as described. I sent in photographs of how the items obviously differed. "Not acceptable evidence." So I had to drive all over the place to find a dealer (there wasn't a local one due to the uncommon nature of the collectible), and then wait for them to draft up a letter--a $30 valuation service.

I sent the letter in and finally PayPal allowed me to return the item. Imagine that. I provided documentation that the item I received was worthless, and was required to send it back to the UK for my $7,450 refund. I called PayPal and talked to a representative asking about the best way to ensure I would get my money back and whether or not I would have to insure the item. She assured me that because I provided documentation that the item was valueless, I would not have to insure the item.

I went to the post office and sent the package back via registered mail, paying around $30. I updated the case with the proper information on the 9th, and have been checking every single day, awaiting its return.

As I was checking, I saw a little note on the claim that said "PayPal will contact you if further information is required by June 17th." I thought this was odd, since that date had already passed (it was around the 20th by then). So I called and was assured that everything would by fine, and that the date would automatically update to around July 7th to be checked for delivery.

Today, at 9:37PM, I received an email from PayPal saying that they CLOSED my claim. To me, this seems completely boundless and unreasonable. I called PayPal, unbelievably frustrated and horrified, and was informed that NO MATTER WHAT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING IF THE MAIL COURIER TRUCK WERE TO EXPLODE WITH THE RETURN INSIDE, PayPal could not return my payment unless delivery receipt was confirmed.

I have filed an inquiry with USPS to track my registered mail. And now I am writing this, because I am at my wit's end. Please, for the love of God, tell me what I did wrong and what I can fix.

Login to Me Too
49 REPLIES 49

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Hmmm, okay.  Now, now, don't lose hope just yet. 🙂  Let me do some research.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Also try tracking the Registered Mail # too at the Royal Mail site.

Usually when I put the Registered Mail # at USPS.com, it don't tell me anything, only with the customs label #.  Maybe Royal Mail may have some info under the Registered Mail #.

It's outrageous to not able to get any info with Registered Mail to the UK otherwise.  You'd do better shipping it regular first class pkg intl at least with that there's delivery confirmation and tracking statuses right on USPS site for the most part.  lol

Russia of all places have fantastic tracking for Registered Mail.

It says that you can tracking an overseas package at Royal Mail: http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/how-do-I-track-an-item-sent-from-abroad/

Grrrr.  But at least now you have USPS on the case investigating it for you.

Login to Me Too

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor
Because it's first class, there's no step by step tracking--only delivery confirmation. USPS is no longer in control, since it left NY, according to the representative I talked to. I'm assuming that first class registered USPS mail is converted to Royal Mail registered first class, of course. Actually, putting the customs number into the Royal Mail website has made me kind of nervous, as it appears it hadn't really moved anywhere. I will try to call them again tomorrow.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Alexe123 wrote:
Because it's first class, there's no step by step tracking--only delivery confirmation. USPS is no longer in control, since it left NY, according to the representative I talked to. I'm assuming that first class registered USPS mail is converted to Royal Mail registered first class, of course. Actually, putting the customs number into the Royal Mail website has made me kind of nervous, as it appears it hadn't really moved anywhere. I will try to call them again tomorrow.

Yes, true and there is delivery confirmation but you also see all the statuses like when it passed through customs overseas etc.  I had one customer overseas asking me about their package one time and I tracked it and it just past through customs so activity does show overseas prior to delivery with Delivery Confirmation Intl.  And this is for applicable destinations shipping via USPS First Class Package Intl unregistered of course.

Did you try out the Registered Mail number too?  USPS gives you two numbers.  One from the customs label and one off the Registered Mail label, please try the Registered Mail label as well.

Login to Me Too

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor
So something unbelievable just happened about 10 minutes ago... I purchased a stylus from Germany to replace the one on my turntable. It was sent by priority Deutsche post, and required a signature... But the new electronic USPS signature console wouldn't work. The post carrier CALLED HIS BOSS who told him to just deliver the package. Now obviously, it doesn't matter in this particular case--but still these things apparently DO happen.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

They do happen yes.

I live in a hamlet and the postie if i am out just leaves my post on my kitchen table or in my porch and either signs it himself or just doesn't bother..............so often i get signed for post unsigned for !!!!

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor

Bump...

Still no good news Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor

So, after a long time of no updates, I finally got some new information. A different PayPal representative said that the case may be reconsidered due to the fact that the item was valueless. Incredible. Every time I had previously contacted them, they had completely shut me down. This time, I was assured that it would be reconsidered based on the circumstances (no contact from the seller, the documentation I provided earlier regarding the fact that the item was valueless, etc.), and that, if the appeal should fail, would be able to call again and talk to a supervisor.

Though I am quite sure this is too good to be true, I'll take it as a step in the right direction.

The case was put into appeal, and I was asked over the phone to submit shipping documentation. That being said, when I looked at the email I got, it said basically the same thing that the other representatives had asked before--that delivery had to be confirmed. Anyway, I have since submitted the receipts from shipping and the USPS inquiry information, as well as the ic3 FBI and Action Fraud complaint forms.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Login to Me Too

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor

AMAZING! AMAZING! AMAZING!

About a week ago, after going through the chain of command in PayPal and even talking to rude agents, we finally talked to a supervisor who claimed she would investigate on her own. I suggested that she look into his eBay transactions, etc. for fraudulent activity. We hadn't heard anything back from her, and were beginning to give up hope...

And in the meantime, had contacted the Northamtonshire police department one more time. This time, they were able to file a police report, and say that it was easily proven as fraud, and they were going to investigate--stating that an officer may go to his house. 

And then, I received an email from USPS saying the package was lost, and to put in a claim.

Suspense was in the air.

I logged into my PayPal account to review the closed case, and A FULL REFUND WAS ISSUED TO MY ACCOUNT. There were no emails, nothing. A complete PayPal-given reversal of the full $7,450. 

Actually... as I am writing this, I received a call from the agent saying she was able to get it resolved. "I am a top customer, and she wanted to do everything to get it resolved." 

The police report is still in progress... and everything is right in the PayPal world 🙂

Login to Me Too

wvk

Another horror storry

They did the same to me. The buyer claimed item not as described and wanted $3000.00 back. He returned a cheap $75 fake

item and Paypal gave him back his money.I contested this and was told to file a complaint with FBI internet fraud, which I did. Then they asked for pictures of the item I sent to the buyer, then they wanted a professional appraisal of the item I sent and the item I received.

I went throught the expense to supply that. Then paypal asket for proof of the item I sent ??? and on and on.

After holding my money for over a month they decided the case in the scammers favor and gone was my money and my item.

Is PayPal totaly incompitent, stupid and illogical or just crooked? There is absolutely no recourse for us. Perhaps a class action suit would be high time. I am afraid to sell an expensive item anymore and get paid through PayPal, this scammer succeded and will do it again and again. The scam was out of China by the way. I will have to find another way to transfer funds.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.