Paypal are thieves.

nyczalex
Contributor
Contributor

First, i'd like to give a little background of my history. I have been using paypal for 11 years now, been an avid user, shop here and there with it, sell some stuff on ebay here and there, and also send and recieve money from family&friends.  

Recently, I have went from a positive balance to a negative balance because paypal decided to hold me responsible for a buyer charging back on their credit card. 

The buyer has open a dispute on ebay with me and automatically lost. Don't remember exact reason but probably some red flag that ebay saw and instantly favored me. Next thing you know, he goes and opens a dispute here on paypal claiming it was "unauthorized" transaction so I've contacted the buyer and no response.

I then followed up with the dispute in the resolution center providing sufficient, more than enough evidence, showing that the buyer is indeed the same person and that it wasn't an unauthorized transaction.

The numerous emails I have exchanged with him were the exact same info, name/email/address/etc. as his ebay and paypal. I even attached a small partial video that I had indeed gave him what he purchased. I attached an email showing that I offered him a refund at some point as well if he were to return the stuff he had recieved but he refused to. He also never responded in the resolution center. 

With all these red flags, yet I still have to deal with paypal's bs. I have called and spoken to paypal over the phone 4+ times in total. Most of time it is the same thing, they help me file a claim in my name to the buyers cc institute and I just have to wait until they make a decision. The credit card favors the buyer, not surprised at all since 99.9% of the time, the credit card issuer will favor the holder, especially on a first time unauthorized/fraud claim, no questions asked. 

It is ridiculous that they are holding me responsible for the buyer's claim when it clearl that we have a dishonest human being doing something very inhumane. I went from a positive balance to a negative balance and cannot use paypal until this is fixed. See how this plays out but this has already been dragged since last year around I think september.

I have called paypal over 4 times with every time whoever I talk to, favoring me. It's like they know the buyer is a dishonest person (probably a kid using their parent's card) but yet they don't care. Funny thing is, one of those times, I spoke to an actually supervisor and they told me that they will fix it since they can see that I was a avid long term paypal member. The last call or before that, they credited me like "$60" (the fee costs) for my troubles. $60? I don't care about that, I'm easily losing hundreds for the 4 months you put me through of wasting my time.

Stop telling me something that I already know and heard of a million times, When I call and ask whats going on, I want an update and fix, not a "back to square one, let me put in the notes to dispute on your behalf to the buyers company again". Total nonsense, why drag a case that is easily in my favor? You all say it and know it but can't help and fix it? This thing has been going on for 4+ months and feels like its just being dragged everytime I call.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nyczalex

An unauthorised payment means that the account holders paypal account has been hijacked and used without their consent by your buyer.

So if paypal finds that that is true then of course the account holder should be refunded.

BUT you would not miss out either as if you met ALL the requirements of seller protection paypal would reimburse you as well.

The fact you were not reimbursed means that you did not meet all the requirements of seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nyczalex
Contributor
Contributor

They claim it was an unauthorized charge, the evidence i provided clearly showed that was not the case and it was the same person. If it was unauthorized, that would mean their ebay and email has also been hacked, which is highly not the case because the sale was months ago, meaning they should of noticed that it was purchased on ebay and payment was made ages ago instead of calling for unautorized fraud 2 months later. As far as I was told, in order to get buyer protection, just send anything about the same weight and you are good. Don't think I will ever use this service again and if I were to ever, I would definitely not leave money on it.

Login to Me Too

nyczalex
Contributor
Contributor

Update: customer support is terrible, They are still sending me messages/calls and are trying to explain to me the same thing that I have heard several times from reps about how the buyers cc is in favor of them and why I am not protected by sellers protection. Stop repeating something to me, I clearly understand that but circumstances and situation here is a bit changed and  greating in favor of me. I normally wouldn't care about this and would just take the loss but the fact that all this evidence greatly favors me, every rep favoring me, and having a supervisor tell me something that apparently never happened, I am thinking of taking it to legal matters. Small claims court? Just need to find out more info on how that works.

We pay fees for using your service, we don't owe you anything yet you decide to take it from honest sellers because we have buyers that fake fraud?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

How much money are we talking about here?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

nyczalex
Contributor
Contributor

Not a lot at all. Went from a slightly positive balance to about a negative $200-300 balance which in no way am I paying so I cannot use the service anymore until I fix the balance. Luckily, I didn't have money kept on the account or they wouldve just blatantly took it and physically stole from me. 

I have been with them for 11 years now, using their service since, yet they pull this on me and restrict me from using thier service for such a petty balance. 

Login to Me Too

jodeecee
Contributor
Contributor

I beleive they are making money off of these 'disputes', acting as if they are defending you in these cases, when clearly they do not even look at the evidence. They they charge money when taking the money out of your account. YES charge 20$. IF it all goes to the buyers cc as transaction, I want to see the trail. don't beleive for a second paypal isn't profiting.

Login to Me Too

nyczalex
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed. It's stupid to even have such a fee .. They are doing no more than sending an email that anyone couldve of done myself. They aren't trained professinals but just regular staff sending email.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

It is not as simple as you think.  When a buyer files a credit card chargeback, the credit card issuer or bank opens a case against PayPal's corporate merchant account and charges PayPal various fees to even deal with chargebacks and penalties for having chargebacks. Imagine the banks doing the same thing to PayPal what PayPal does to us if there is a dispute or chargeback.

Please inform yourself: https://www.cardfellow.com/chargebacks/

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

nyczalex
Contributor
Contributor

TL:DR

regardless what is the case, a chargeback is either 100% your fault or not and in my case, it clearly is not ..

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.