PayPal refund hold

Jamieclosson
Contributor
Contributor
So I buy a computer buy now. Payment options were pay via PayPal or credit card. I avoid PayPal and pay credit card and there was an issue with my order so the seller refunded me . Now I sit for the 3-5 business days for my refund as all transactions go through PayPal regardless. Sorry ebay sellers but this is not an issue with amazon. PayPal I'd like 20% interest on my $ 1400.00. I didn't give you the right to use my money.
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jamieclosson

A seller can only issue a refund via funds in their paypal balance or an echeque.
So if its an echeque it has to clear through from the sellers bank account > paypal > and then it is credited to you and the hold lifted.

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/i-want-a-refund.-how-do-refunds-work-faq3248

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jamieclosson
Contributor
Contributor
Within 20 mins I received the ebay email that my money had been refunded. PayPal has my money as I contacted them direct..this is there policy and there's alone. They hold the money to earn interest themselves.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jamieclosson

When someone issues you a refund you get an email to say that refund has been issued.

That does NOT mean it has cleared and is in your paypal balance or bank account, it means that it has been issues and is on its way back to you dependent on how that refund was sourced.

If you prefer to believe the incorrect information that you quoted then thats fine with me, I prefer to deal with facts.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Derektutor

When we receive the information that the refund is COMPLETED, with a transaction ID listed, then PayPal absolutely has the refund.  It has cleared at this stage, yet PayPal still holds the money.  This is directly an interest hold.  

If the message only says that the refund has been submitted, or is in process, or issued, this is not a completed refund.  In this case it is true that the funds have not cleared.  Facts are fun to work with, I totally agree.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Derektutor

Pending or temp hold = Refund on its way to Paypal from the seller.

Completed = received by Paypal and credited to your Paypal balance IF you paid via bank transfer OR funds in your Paypal balance.

HOWEVER if you funded it via a debit or credit card then 'once completed' Paypal pass it on to your debit or credict card and that takes a few days to process.

I got a refund from an Ebay seller last week and once marked completed it hit my credit card in 4 days.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.