PayPal holding all of my money from Ebay sales

hankins13
New Community Member

These morons at PayPal have really **bleep** up what was a nice way to sell. If I am a new client and I need to build feedback for selling items, how I am I supposed to do that if Paypal holds the money for 21 days and doent even let me have access to the shipping portion of the funds? I am supposed to pay for all of the shipping up front and then just catch my money when they decide to finaly release it? I have poitive feedbacks on items now for days and they still havent relesaed the money. IT seems like a real catch 22 to start up on. IF they keep all of the money how do you pay for the shipping? Why do they need to hold it for 21 days, Surly they are making some type of income off all of those held millions and millions of dollars. Could be a nice class action if enough people can get together and challenge what they are doing with our money. Iam going to look for another selling site and payment platform, these guys have just gotten to big to worry about customer service.

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hankins13

New seller hold.

Feedback does not count for payment release.

As Ebay and paypal are now separate companies this is an ebay and not a paypal hold.

Info in link.

www.paypal.com/selfhelp/article/FAQ1377/1/?country.x=GB&locale.x=en_GB

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

GMDegen
Contributor
Contributor

Your link says Paypal started the policy and is obviously a PAypal issue. I would also argue the fact that it is an industry wide standard when yopu have a virtual monoploly on EBay payments - that just makes it your policy.  I have one that has been marked delivered on shipping tracking and received positive feedback over a week ago and is still being held (transaction id # 2XL93849628956539), while others sales before and after have been released. The link you provided says funds will be delivered after 3 days of delivery confirmation - obviously not true from my experience. I say let the class action get started and time to shop this with C.A. attorney groups. It's obviously just a grab to make interest on held $.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If Paypal wants to earn interest from your payment,it would not target just one of your payments!

The payment which is still being withheld,is it from a foreign buyer,how much ,there is no way y ou know how he paid-bank,paypal fund or credit card,debit card?

I found this on wholesale forum,this is news to me-

This is a popular complaint among new sellers, but PayPal is authorized to withhold funds for up to 21 days. It’s a tough break for those new to the game, but here are some of the reasons why it may have happened to you:

● Your positive feedback percentage may have dropped over the last month
● How long you’ve been a member of eBay
● The percentage of negative feedback or unsatisfied buyers is more than 5 percent
● You have less than 100 feedback left (positive or negative)
● You are selling in a new category
● Your DSR (Detailed Seller Rating) is less than 4.5 

Login to Me Too

GMDegen
Contributor
Contributor

Yea, I get all their rules are being applied to me. It is just strange this one payment is held. I  Have above standard rating on EBay. Feedback is less than 100 as I am just starting to sell again so yes relatively new seller on this account . I Had three sales that day one was delivered before and one after this transaction and both of those were released, all in different collectible categories. so nothing outside usual sales etc. It's just an annoyance more than anything to me. As to making interest, it is  if you take and hold $25-$50 dollars from a million people for  3 weeks it can be a couple percentage points in profit - not huge but corporations will take any gain. People in corporations get big raises and bonuses for ideas that make a few points on total gross. I can guarantee they don't do this because they care if i get paid or joe blow receives his item from me.

EBay is a listing service and should not even be involved in the say of funds. I used to sell in the mid 90's when EBay was new and they did not get involve in payments. Once Paypal started and was used extensively Ebay bought them out and you were pretty much forced to use them exclusively. If Ebay were to start their own service it would just be a rebranded Paypal and would be no improvement. In the "Old" days we had to get mailed money orders and was actually easier to deal with. You knew they were good when they arrived and you then shipped, it just took 2 days longer than the modern electronic way.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Paypal may be losing its monopoly grip on Ebay once the contract ended,Ebay could have its own Ebay one click(like AMZN) or strike  deal with APPLE Pay,Google Wallet ?

Whoever the new comer is,I doubt it is going to relax the withholding ,as Ebay is a fleamarket where anyone can buy and sell.

Would you feel better if Ebay /PAYPAL sets up a rolling reserve on the sellers? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GMDegen

Wow when did i get the monopoly on ebay payments?? I must be rich !!

There was me thinking it was paypal that had the monopoly.

And i suggest you actually READ the link as NOWHERE does it say ANYTHING about funds being released after positive feedback OR 3 days.

So if someone supplies information I suggest you try and READ IT.

Typically, you’ll have access to these pending payments after:

7 calendar days of the estimated delivery date, if you mark the item as sent in your eBay account, or
21 calendar days, if you don’t mark the item as sent in your eBay account

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

GMDegen
Contributor
Contributor

WOW, for avolunteer advisor you give the company a worse image with your "advice". You does not specifically mean YOU, read the sentence with if you instead of the when you that I Wrote - if you have this, then.... doesn't mean you directly.

I quote "Your funds will be released 3 days after we have your tracking information and can confirm your item was delivered OR your funds will be released 7 days after the item is marked as shipped or processed." taken from following the "tracking info" link on the page link you posted. Why don't you ACTUALLY READ the links you post as advice before isulting other people - moron.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GMDegen

You does not specifically mean YOU, read the sentence with if you instead of the when you that I Wrote - if you have this, then.... doesn't mean you dir

Really?? Strange you said this then >>

I would also argue the fact that it is an industry wide standard when yopu have a virtual monoploly on EBay payments - that just makes it your policy. 

and

WOW, for avolunteer advisor you give the company a worse image with your "advice".

What the heck have I got to do with paypal ??????

This is a user to user help forum and I have no more to do with paypal than YOU do.

" taken from following the "tracking info" link on the page link you posted.

And where exactly in the following taken directly from the link I posted does it say that?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Why are my incoming payments from sales on eBay pending and how can I prevent this?
To keep your money safer, we're placing your payments from sales on eBay to one side, in your pending balance. This is commonplace for new or inexperienced sellers, but can also affect experienced sellers.

We’ve been dealing with online payments for years and we’ve realised that it helps to prevents losses, by keeping your money secure. It also makes buyers feel safer and more likely to return and purchase again.

Typically, you’ll have access to these pending payments after:
7 calendar days of the estimated delivery date, if you mark the item as sent in your eBay account, or
21 calendar days, if you don’t mark the item as sent in your eBay account

You’re incoming payments will usually become instantly available to you once:
  • 90 days have passed since your first successful sale on eBay, and
  • You’ve received £165 from sales on eBay, and
  • You’ve had 25 sales on eBay
If you use PayPal postage to send an item related to a pending payment, the cost of your postage label will be released when you print the label.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

GMDegen
Contributor
Contributor

I apologize it seems to be a country issue. I Was logged into paypal when i first followed your link and received the american version of it. I Just noticed your link provides the GB Version of the same page which is different. My page has a tracking info link on it which provides the quote I showed.

Mine took me to this orignally https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/FAQ1377 (Same link minus the GB country code at end of address) which has additional writing from the GB link with section on "how to receive money faster" - there is than a "provide tracking information" link which contains the quote i posted. Apparently you (Meaning anyone - not you specifically) get the page from your own country based on previous cookies and/or account information as when I try again clicking the tracking link with both your GB link window open and american version open in another window it then links to an error page not found. (either that or they forgot to drop this page and are reading forum and made a quick correction).

OK, i did not mean you specifically are making the profits of Paypal. You have volunteer advisor next to your name which implies a little more in the forum than me being a user. IF PAypal has bestowed this upon you then they are allowing you to represent them to a point so I used you in that context. I Again apologize for any confuusion to this and do not imply you directly are profiting or making policy.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.