PayPal Stole Money Out Of My Account

mirofoss
Contributor
Contributor

I had an issue with a buyer. The short story is the buyer made multiple purchases from my Ebay store. On the second purchase everything went smoothly back in August. After two months the buyer decides to 'Charge back' because she does not reconize the payment on her credit card; so of course PayPal takes the money out of my account and puts it to 'pending'. After doing all of the investigation work for PayPal which included copies of sales receipts, screen captures of emails with the buyer.... It turns out the buyer received the items and everything was okay. She simply noticed the transaction on her bill with called "admin@paypal" and it came out almost two months after the orginal sale. She therefore called her credit card company and stopped the payment.

So I provided all the evidence for PayPal and they basically said I was a good customer... Good standing.... Blah Blah Blah.. They asked if I had proof of shipment. I scanned the receipts and customs bills from the post office and sent them to the claims email. Now they tell me that I didn't provide proof of shipping and they took my money out of the account, plus a $20.00 chargeback fee. How can they do this when I followed their instructions and sent all the information they wanted? I cannot believe that I am out the purchase price of the items, the shipping cost of the items, AND a twenty dollar fee! I tried to go through the resolution centre and there is no way I can attach the pdf of my scanned post office receipts because they closed the case... I understand PayPal is one of the only ways to do business now, but how does this help people when you can just suck money out of the account without even a phone call or proper email. This is absolute garbage! I know I am a small business and I am not clearing thousands of dollars a month so I may not matter to PayPal, but this is absolutely horrendous customer service and customer policy.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

stuartbrown
Contributor
Contributor

All sellers should be aware that paypal is slanted against themand for the buyer. They should be aware that unless you have proof of postage and the Item is tracked Paypal will stop your payment this happened to me six weeks after sale I was not contacted they just emailed me to say t5hey stopped the payment when I phoned to complain they hung up on me

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

When it comes to a chargeback by the credit card company there isn't much PayPal can do other than give the money back to the credit card company.

This is were seller protection is important.  As long as you follow the rules for seller protection PayPal would reimburse you for the loss.  This means you must have proof of delivery.   As long as you have a tracking number provided to PayPal you would be fine.

Apparently you do not have a tracking number, so no seller protection; it's just the rules in PayPal policies.

Login to Me Too

mirofoss
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for your reply... The thing is I sent the proof of shipping they requested. If they get the money from the buyer.... Will I actually ever see it? I'm having a really hard time trusting these people.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You can help to avoid this from happening again if you added a nickname or store name that would show on buyer's credit card bill so it won't be something ambiguous.  You can update this in your seller settings, under Block Payments (last option).  Just saying.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

mirofoss
Contributor
Contributor
I will definitely change my seller name, thank you... I also emailed the buyer and informed her she can have the items as a gift... I feel better just giving them away now rather than expecting PayPal to actually do anything for me. I may be out $87.95CAN which in the big picture is not a huge deal, but I take experience with me that online companies are horrible to work with and from now on I will only accept payments via credit card or online debit through my merchant account. I have lost a lot of trust in how PayPal operates and I am very leery of continuing to use PayPal as a valid method of payment ....
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@mirofoss wrote:
I will definitely change my seller name, thank you... I also emailed the buyer and informed her she can have the items as a gift... I feel better just giving them away now rather than expecting PayPal to actually do anything for me. I may be out $87.95CAN which in the big picture is not a huge deal, but I take experience with me that online companies are horrible to work with and from now on I will only accept payments via credit card or online debit through my merchant account. I have lost a lot of trust in how PayPal operates and I am very leery of continuing to use PayPal as a valid method of payment ....

the amount is Can$87.95,are you a Canadian seller selling where,Ebay Canada or Ebay USA?

Where is your buyer?

How did you ship?

YOu said customs,so is the buyer oveseas?

if you cant prove it has been delivered,just shipping is not good enough for EBAY AND Paypal protection.

Your buyer cc issuer rules in your buyer favor,Ebay and Paypal would not protect you if you cannot prove it has been delivered,if $750 or more,signature required. 

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@lancelotme wrote:

@mirofoss wrote:

the amount is Can$87.95,are you a Canadian seller selling where,Ebay Canada or Ebay USA?

Where is your buyer?

How did you ship?

YOu said customs,so is the buyer oveseas?

if you cant prove it has been delivered,just shipping is not good enough for EBAY AND Paypal protection.

Your buyer cc issuer rules in your buyer favor,Ebay and Paypal would not protect you if you cannot prove it has been delivered,if $750 or more,signature required. 

correction,as Sharpie points out,unauthorised payement chargeback,Paypal and Ebay will protect you if you prove you have shipped to the address provided and the order is elegible whole or part for protection.

Foreign postal  tracking number sometimes is not uploaded to USPS website,so it could show it has been shipped on your country postal site but not so on USPS,it has happened with Australian ,UK shipments to USA. 

Login to Me Too

mirofoss
Contributor
Contributor
This was a buyer from USA, buying a product from my store on EBay located in Canada...
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You said you have postal receipts and customs forms?

Did you key the number on The Canadian postal website and see what it said?

You need to go by Ebay Canadian seller protection,what does it say about unauthorised payment and shipping proof?

also key those numbers on USPS website and see it shows up.

Login to Me Too

garyowen
Contributor
Contributor

I agree.  PayPal is very unsatisfactory.  if ther was an alternative, I would use it!  The agents on teh phone are unresponsive and unhelpful.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.