No more debit cards for Canadians as of 4/15/18??

JoanneFM
Contributor
Contributor

I've been a Paypal member since 2002 and have had a debit card ever since. Today I got an email stating that Paypal debit cards will be closing on April 15, 2018. I'm very upset about this. as I use my card when shopping locally. I would think that Paypal has enough business with Canadian members to allow us consideration in this. It's just not good business in my opinion. It's a pain to have to wait three days every time I want to move money from Paypal to my bank account. I've used the card to take money out through an ATM, but now I won't even be able to do that. What does everyone else think about this?

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

Johnnycrash
Contributor
Contributor

This really **bleep** me over. I do not have a credit card. And after waiting 5+ business days to get the money into my account, that will still not allow me to buy on Amazon.ca, or any other on-line retailers, as they don't take debit cards. And I too use it all the time locally to pay for things and at the ATM for cash. Thank you so very much PayPal for this reward for being a loyal client since the beginning.

Any one have any kind of work around for this?? There must be something that can be done. This makes having a PayPal account pretty much useless.

Login to Me Too

JoanneFM
Contributor
Contributor

Totally agree with you!

Login to Me Too

BCHeard
New Community Member

I spoke with an agent at the Paypal Debit Card branch and was told this was a spoof email and they hadn't sent anything out. She also checked and said my debit card was fine and still working and NOT to cut it up, as the email had said. She also had me forward the email to spoof@paypal.com

Anyone else talk to Paypal Debit Card folks?

For those who don't know, there are less than one hundred (100) of us in Canada with Paypal Debit Cards, at this time.

BC

Login to Me Too

JoanneFM
Contributor
Contributor

@BCHeard wrote:

I spoke with an agent at the Paypal Debit Card branch and was told this was a spoof email and they hadn't sent anything out. She also checked and said my debit card was fine and still working and NOT to cut it up, as the email had said. She also had me forward the email to spoof@paypal.com

Anyone else talk to Paypal Debit Card folks?

For those who don't know, there are less than one hundred (100) of us in Canada with Paypal Debit Cards, at this time.

BC

I emailed them from the Paypal website today about it, and this was the reply I got:

Thank you for contacting Paypal about your PayPal Debit MasterCard.

Please be advised that the closure of your Business Debit Mastercard is not a result of anything related to your PayPal account. You may continue to use your PayPal account as normal. Unfortunately, we can no longer support a Business Debit Mastercard in the Canadian market.

At this time, we don’t have another product like the Business Debit Mastercard to offer you. For the meantime, you can continue using your PayPal account to send and receive money and make purchases anywhere PayPal is accepted.

Thank you for being a valued member of PayPal! Have a great day and take care!

Sincerely,
Suzette

Login to Me Too

Lockotronic
Contributor
Contributor

I'm totally pixxed about this!  Total fees paid to both Paypal and Ebay are already all time high and now having to pay more to withdraw money from Paypal!  Good thing that my Amazon sales has been picked up this year.  The next few years would be interesting for most of us (sellers) that are left.  As of right now we don't have much choices.

Owen

Login to Me Too

JoanneFM
Contributor
Contributor

No, there's no way around it, unfortunately. Can't buy anything at online shops that don't allow Paypal, can't take money out of my Paypal account any longer at an ATM, without the card. So we're forced to withdraw to a bank account, and of course we have to pay the fee to convert it to Canadian funds and wait for five days for it to process. With the fees that I've paid to Paypal through my online store, they make plenty of money off of me, and they don't give a crap about us. Why can't they go with a different card company, if the one they're using doesn't allow cards outside of the US?? They know that they are pretty much the only online payment processor that people want to use, so they just don't care how they treat us. I'm so pis*ed off right now, it's not even funny. 

Login to Me Too

tc1914
New Community Member

I feel exactly like every one else that has replied. 
The only satisfaction I have, is that I am no longer carrying a large PayPal balance anymore, so PayPal can't benefit from having my money stored with them interest free. 

I have never seen such unprofessional ism from what is supposed to be a global company.

Login to Me Too

Lockotronic
Contributor
Contributor

I use the debit card to withdrawn money from the ATM machine simply because the Rate is so much better!  I have two debit cards that makes every time I can draw $1000 CAD from ATM and a saving of around $30, makes it worth the time spent in doing so, plus it is much faster.  I also use the debit card to make purchases on Amazon.com and pay in USD as amazon does not support PAYPAL payment.  This really sucks.

Owen

Login to Me Too

JoanneFM
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly! I use it on Amazon.ca all the time, and as you said, they don't accept Paypal, so I use the card. Now I won't be able to do that either. I wish someone would explain the reasoning behind this move. I can't believe they don't have a backup plan to provide us with the same benefits as their US members. Looks like Paypal thinks the same as the guy they have running their country! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.