NEW 180 DAY RETURN POLICY, EFFECTIVE 11/15/2015

COINSELLER1011
Contributor
Contributor

Extending the time period that a buyer can file a dispute from 45 days to 180 days is a bad policy, in my opinion.  I understand that buyers who use credit cards can file a dispute for up to 180 currently, but why create a policy that will increase the number of returns, and allow more room for unethical behavior.  I understand that Paypal would prefer that buyers use their system rather than going through their credit card company for a chargeback, but this policy is overkill.  I sell coins.  Coins go up and down in value, and a six-month window for returns is simply too long.  Also, with Paypal's objective of getting less chargebacks, and driving those issues through the Paypal system, they will in fact increase the number of overall returns.  People often return items that are "as described" but say they are "not as described" because they feel they have to to return an item.  No seller can be secure that their sales are final until six months later.  I believe this policy should not be implemented, or should be changed to 60 days, or 90 days.  180 days is too long.  The majority of buyers do not pay with a credit card, and now those buyers will have six months to return an item.  The policy should remain as it is today, prior to the 11/15/14 change date.  I am very proud of my 15 year relationship with Paypal, and we have made money together, but this is a bad change, and it will prevent me from selling higher priced items, and items that are gold and silver, and fluctuate in value over a six month time period.  I wish Paypal would reconsider this move, and the implications of this change.

Login to Me Too
38 REPLIES 38

Not_going_to
Contributor
Contributor

The only reason eBay & PayPal get away with this kind of abuse is that enough of us go along with it. I have sold on eBay since 1998. A power seller, Top seller, 100% positive feedback. I have used PayPal from day one. Over the years I have seen a constant decline in eBay. Mostly PayPal has been fine in my case. But this is NOT fine. Since my bank offers a collection option. Even my credit card company does not try to tell me how long I must allow returns, PayPal will not do it either...Other online sellers like etsy have a good money collection methods, so, there is no way I will allow PayPal to tell me how long I must offer refunds. It's bad enough that eBay is stealing the surcharge on shipping. This PayPal 180 return I WILL NOT accept. 

Login to Me Too

Sparrow18
Contributor
Contributor

As a supplier of consumable pet products, this policy is very disturbing. If someone purchases ear drops, eye drops or a flea collar and then claims after 6 months (!) it didn't work, I don't know what I shall do. The bulk of my items are meant to be used immediately or within a week at the most. Thankfully, I've only had a handful of customers over the years that may have lied to get a freebie, but I sincerely feel this is going to open an entirely new can of worms for Sellers. I have already removed all products from eBay and will only use my own domains from now on, so I will only have to deal with PayPal rather than eBay and/or PayPal.

I do have to add, I have been using PayPal for at least 15 years (both in the USA and in the EU) and have absolutely no complaints about their customer service and their resolution service. So far, I have found PayPal to be fair and objective from both a Seller and Buyer prospective.

I do recall an instance, a couple years back, when a friend purchased an item that was found to be bogus, but was too timid to complain. When she told me about the situation and showed me her receipts, we called PayPal together and tried to sort it out. The item was over $400 and that was nothing to sneeze at.

PayPal was very understanding, but 61 days had lapsed, meaning she missed the PayPal limits by a single day. Since she used a credit card through PayPal, PayPal suggested she contact her card company, as they did have the 180 day return policy.

After quite a while on the phone with her card company, forms to fill, etc... and another 30 day waiting period, she did eventually receive a full credit for her fraudulent order.

So, even though I am not wild about the 180 day policy, I do understand the mechanics of it and as a Buyer, I approve, but as a Seller, I'm simply stuck and hoping my customers remain as honest as they have in the past.

Login to Me Too

speakertweekar
New Community Member

I just got news of this 180 change today via email and its the first I have heard about it. This  is terrible and can ruin an honest sellers business. Why doesnt paypal change there seller fee's to 0.5 with the new 180 return? If something is sold by me then I insure it against damage so now I can loose the money I paid to insure my item if the buyer pretends to only open the item 165 days later. 

Computer guys I feel really sorry for as its such a fast paced market and I know that I regret owning a graphics card 6 months later when I see all the new ones coming out. I am honest but for some one who is not then based on how I feel remorse, these guys are going to cash in and stay up to date with new tech and thats heartbreaking to the poor seller who built paypal up into what it is today, surely paypal owes the seller some kind of thanks as we incur the fee's.

Here is the big question and should have some legal implications, how can I defend myself after my listing and tracking number has vanished in 3 months paypal. I think you owe an explanation to me and all you valued customers who support and are your foundation. IF you dont  reply then we all know that you dont care enough.

Login to Me Too

Not_going_to
Contributor
Contributor

The valid point that the listings vanish on eBay shorly after the sale ends and the info on the Postal Service is no longer available for that long, I am kind of wondering how they think they can do this in the 1st place. 

I am also curious how the hundreds of large companies that use PayPal are going to react to this. Or are they just "gracing" eBay/PayPal account holders with this horror and not all the other huge companies that use them worldwide. 

Login to Me Too

Sparrow18
Contributor
Contributor

eBay listings may "vanish" after a period of time, but it is quite easy to look up the transaction through PayPal.

I have a feeling listings will hang around for 180 days to match the new policy after November 15.

Login to Me Too

Not_going_to
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal records are arcived forever. We have copies dating back to 1998 But that does not prove what was sent or any details about the actual transaction. What it boils down to is the suspected dishonest buyer's word against the seller's word.  I rarely have problems with my products. Maybe 3 or 4 times out of over 20,000 transactions. But recently a buyer waited 3 months, then claimed to PayPal that I made a charge on her CC for a product she claimed she never bought. Of course as a PayPal member there is no way for me to make a charge on a card I never saw. But also, I had the eBay item number and the USPS tracking number. Should have been an easy slam dunk, Right? NO...PayPal took a full month to investigate the matter. Fortunately I have a near spotless record so they didn't hold funds and finally got around to agreeing that the buyer was a scammer. But it was annoying. And, now, without being able  to prove some of the details, I can't image the nightmare this is going to create. 

BTW, eBay also keeps some records back to the beginning. But only some. Won't be much help for this mess. 

Login to Me Too

partsrus
Contributor
Contributor

Everyone who has read and posted their comments on the community board needs to go into the PP site to read Erica's explanation to this new policy change and then write an opinion of it's merits.

Log into Papal, go to Contact, Tips From Moderators and then the link, Purchase Protection Expansion where you can read her "spin" on why this is such a great deal for all of us.

Login to Me Too

Sparrow18
Contributor
Contributor

@partsrus 

It would be much easier if you posted a direct link: Erica's Tips

Login to Me Too

PARELECTRONICS
Contributor
Contributor

WE SELL TEST EQ.  IT WAS BAD ENOUGH WHEN IT WAS FOR 45 DAYS NOW AT 180 DAYS A COMPANY CAN " BUY" A UNIT USED IT FOR 6 MONTHS HAVE THE IT "FAIL" AND THEN HAVE US PAY FOR THE RETURN.  IT GOES HAND AN HAND W/ EBAYS RETURN POLICY WHEN THE SELL PAYS FOR THE RETURN SHIPPING.   OUR COMPANY WILL BECOME A STOCK ROOM AND RENTAL AGENCY FOR THOSE WONDERFUL BUYERS LOOKING FOR FREE MATERIAL.

PAR ELECTRONICS

Login to Me Too

Not_going_to
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I am going to make this short and to the point. I am NOT going to use PayPal for selling if they do this crazy idea. My bank doesn't tell me how long I must give my customers to return something. And PayPal isn't going to either. I design and manufacture natural craft kits. Christmas sales are my biggest sales of the year. What kind of crazy would I be to sell my $175 kit that is new and 5 or 6 months later I get it back, used and not fit to resale, after the holiday selling season is over. No! There are other ways to collect money. My credit card company, 2 of my banks, and companies like Etsy are all offering great payment methods. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.