NEW 180 DAY RETURN POLICY, EFFECTIVE 11/15/2015

COINSELLER1011
Contributor
Contributor

Extending the time period that a buyer can file a dispute from 45 days to 180 days is a bad policy, in my opinion.  I understand that buyers who use credit cards can file a dispute for up to 180 currently, but why create a policy that will increase the number of returns, and allow more room for unethical behavior.  I understand that Paypal would prefer that buyers use their system rather than going through their credit card company for a chargeback, but this policy is overkill.  I sell coins.  Coins go up and down in value, and a six-month window for returns is simply too long.  Also, with Paypal's objective of getting less chargebacks, and driving those issues through the Paypal system, they will in fact increase the number of overall returns.  People often return items that are "as described" but say they are "not as described" because they feel they have to to return an item.  No seller can be secure that their sales are final until six months later.  I believe this policy should not be implemented, or should be changed to 60 days, or 90 days.  180 days is too long.  The majority of buyers do not pay with a credit card, and now those buyers will have six months to return an item.  The policy should remain as it is today, prior to the 11/15/14 change date.  I am very proud of my 15 year relationship with Paypal, and we have made money together, but this is a bad change, and it will prevent me from selling higher priced items, and items that are gold and silver, and fluctuate in value over a six month time period.  I wish Paypal would reconsider this move, and the implications of this change.

Login to Me Too
38 REPLIES 38

tsr6255
Contributor
Contributor

So yesterday I posted my disagreement to this new policy and I also submitted a complaint directly to Paypal.  Today I received an email from Paypal putting a 21 day hold on payments received.  I have sold hundreds of items on Ebay, have 100% positive feedback and ship everything in 1 business day.  So I guess this forum really isn't about freely voicing your opinions to Paypal.

Login to Me Too

partsrus
Contributor
Contributor

Are you saying that PayPal has censured your business by holding all of your current payments for your new sales because you have complained about this absolute inane new 180 day return policy?

It sure reads that way to me.

Login to Me Too

retired2
New Community Member

I have been an ebay member with 100% feedback for a long, long time, and I use other means of selling as well.  I have used PayPal almost exclusively as my payment system.  No more!  The 180 day return period is outrageous and unacceptable. 

I just sold a $600 camera using Amazon.com.  The item sold in one day, and the fees were very competitive.  In fact, there is no fee for processing the payment.  And most importanly, I only have to worry about unscrupulous buyers for 30 days, not 6 months!

As long as PayPal adheres to this insane policy, I will be doing everything I can to avoid using the system.

Login to Me Too

partsrus
Contributor
Contributor

Where are the larger sellers falling on this subject? Why has there been so little feedback on this policy? Is everyone who uses PayPal accepting this new policy change as a done deal no matter what?

Where is the outrage? There has been so few who have spoken out. Why? Is this such as great policy change?

In the beginning we accepted cashier and personal checks only. 

Amazing how many sales we made without PayPal then. We for one will go back to this method of payment. It worked then and for those who really want my stuff badly enough, will have to wait until the funds clear. So send me a check, I'll wait!

Login to Me Too

Jetfixxxer
Contributor
Contributor

I've been using Ebay/PP since 2001 and I will be closing my accounts.   180 days is ridiculous and only benefits the buyer. 

This policy has made Ebay a Rent A Center.  Rent something for 180 days and get your money back. 

So now the seller has to take the chance for 180 days that the person who purchased the item doesn't modify it, overclock it, use the wrong power supply, drop it in the water, use it other what it's intended for, and all kinds of other stuff that could possible do to the item. In other words the seller (could be) is responsible for the buyers stupidity for 180 days.

I'm surprised these boards are getting hammered with outrage over this new policy.

Login to Me Too

Not_going_to
Contributor
Contributor

Keep reading. There is outrage. I have been a power seller on eBay for 15 years. I have used PayPal almost exclusively since I began selling. I am a power seller with 100% positive feedback and I am NOT going to let PayPal tell me how long I have to give people their money back. If a person is too dumb to complain about the quality of a product, or say they didn't get it for 5 or 6 months, they they need to avoid buying anything. Two weeks is long enough to figure this out. And I have found 4 other excellent money collecting companies that will work just as well as PayPal. 

Login to Me Too

realmichaud
Contributor
Contributor

what are the 4 other companies

Login to Me Too

HeatherBIL
New Community Member
This policy is unfair to sellers. As a result, collectors and buyers like myself will be greatly affected. When you mistreat the sellers, the entire system breaks down - without quality sellers, buyers have no reason to stay. Likewise, no sensible buyers would expect to have 180 for returns or to wait 14 days after delivery to pay for purchases. The new policy lacks equitable and reasonable standards of commerce. I stand with the seller community and firmly request the policy revert back to reasonable payment and return parameters.
Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

I just saw this over on the Ecommerce Bytes Forum   I immediately came over here to see what was going on.  To say that I find this policy alarming, would be putting it mildly. 

I sell on Ebay, Amazon, and Bonanza.  I accept Paypal on Ebay, and Bonanza.  My first instinct is to let all my llistings on Ebay expire, and not list any more and to take Paypal off my accepted payment method on Bonanza, as I can accept Amazon payments there.

I don't understand how anyone could possibly consider being held to a 180 day liability, item not received, or a SNAD.  As I have read the previous posts on this blog, this is an unsustainable policy for the seller.  As others have noted, buyer uses the item for 6 months, breaks it or what ever, then claims SNAD.  No one could survive in an environment like that. 

Surly Pay Pal recognizes this opens the door for massive abuse. 

Login to Me Too

partsrus
Contributor
Contributor

This is all about PayPal competing with Visa, MC, AMEX, and the other cards that larger Ebay businesses accept. They simply want the additional revenue that will be generated from the additional card fees once PayPal is spun off from Ebay in 2015. Have you seen the new PP commercials running on TV?

If you haven't read the news yet, PayPal is being spun off from Ebay. This puts PP in a position that will force them to compete with the other big cards.

What about the little guys like us who do not accept CC's and only use PP? We cannot sit by for six months sweating that someone will decide to return an item. No matter what Olivia says, people will abuse this 180 day policy and PP will most likely side with the buyer to protect their guarantee.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.