NEW 180 DAY RETURN POLICY, EFFECTIVE 11/15/2015

COINSELLER1011
Contributor
Contributor

Extending the time period that a buyer can file a dispute from 45 days to 180 days is a bad policy, in my opinion.  I understand that buyers who use credit cards can file a dispute for up to 180 currently, but why create a policy that will increase the number of returns, and allow more room for unethical behavior.  I understand that Paypal would prefer that buyers use their system rather than going through their credit card company for a chargeback, but this policy is overkill.  I sell coins.  Coins go up and down in value, and a six-month window for returns is simply too long.  Also, with Paypal's objective of getting less chargebacks, and driving those issues through the Paypal system, they will in fact increase the number of overall returns.  People often return items that are "as described" but say they are "not as described" because they feel they have to to return an item.  No seller can be secure that their sales are final until six months later.  I believe this policy should not be implemented, or should be changed to 60 days, or 90 days.  180 days is too long.  The majority of buyers do not pay with a credit card, and now those buyers will have six months to return an item.  The policy should remain as it is today, prior to the 11/15/14 change date.  I am very proud of my 15 year relationship with Paypal, and we have made money together, but this is a bad change, and it will prevent me from selling higher priced items, and items that are gold and silver, and fluctuate in value over a six month time period.  I wish Paypal would reconsider this move, and the implications of this change.

Login to Me Too
38 REPLIES 38

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

UK Accounts have this policy (a snippet from their User Agreement)

Open a Dispute within 45 days (or, if you are claiming as a registered UK resident user of PayPal, 180 days) of the date on which you made the payment for the purchase you would like to dispute.

Have not as of yet heard anything concerning US Accounts.

Login to Me Too

COINSELLER1011
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, so does Australia and Germany.  My concern is making the scope of this policy to include all buyers.  The UK, Australia, and Germany account for less than 3% of my business.  Outside of fraud, why would anyone need, or should anyone have, six-months to return something???

Login to Me Too

hgjb
Contributor
Contributor

I will tell you why a buyer might need the 180-day-return option.  It is late September, and back in early June I had purchased a keyboard for which I have a claim now.  The seller kept saying they had it in the mail, they were re-sending it, or such.  I did not want to open a case while it may be no fault of the seller if it hasn't arrived; I make international orders all of the time and I don't have deep pockets for shipping to arrive the very same month as sent.  This new policy stops requiring me to jump instantly on sellers victimized by blink-of-the-eye shipping speed standards.  I just want the product I paid for, not a race to the most costly shipping possible.

Login to Me Too

partsrus
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal sent this out on 9/23/14.

And last but not least, you'll see some updates to our User Agreement that go into effect November 18, 2014. If you're interested in all the details, take a look at our Policy Updates Page. Here are the highlights:

• We're increasing the time for buyers to file merchandise disputes (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days.
• We're extending buyer protection to include item not received claims for custom made products.
• Because PayPal Seller Protection and Buyer Protection policies may vary from country to country, we're adding language to clarify which country's policy applies when a seller makes a sale to a buyer outside of the U.S.

If you use PayPal after the date these changes become effective, we will take that usage as your consent to the changed terms.

MY REPLY!
How in the World does PayPal/Ebay expect us, the little guys, who have helped build this business from the beginning, to survive if you are going to guarantee that a buyer can take up to six frickin months to file a bloody claim????? It will put me out of what buisness I do on Ebay.
Six months!!!
Two quick thoughts come to mind as a buyer.
I think I will just use it for six months and then send it back cause I'm tired of it. Wow! I can buy something and use it for six months before I have to send it back. It's pretty easy to say that it was "severely misrepresented" if PayPal has a sterling money back guarantee. And please don't try to convince me that buyers don't do this to every major box/department store in this country.
Who in the Marketing Department thought this exceptionally brilliant idea was going to be good for the seller?
Oh! I get it now!
Make me keep enough money in my PAYPAL ACCOUNT to cover my receipts for the past six months, just in case some body opens a claim against me under the new terms you have sent us in your mail dated 9/23/14.
How much bank interest money does PAYPAL expect to gain/profit from this braniac idea? I will have to keep enough money to cover any receipt in file for at least six months in case any one of my highest sales results in a bogus claim . I use bogus because there is no telling how many false claims will be filed. The buyer can continue to use the product while the claim is settled and my profit is tied up during that period of time.
Ebay better believe that my word of mouth from now on will be NEGATIVE with every conversation that I have about this company and the Bank Of Ebay (PayPal). You can also believe that this memo has been copied and will be sent to every Ebay user on my mailing list.

Login to Me Too

tsr6255
Contributor
Contributor

I agree 100%.  How can seller's protect themselves when the selling history only stays on Ebay's website for 60 days.  The current policy of 45 days is more than enough time for somebody to figure if they got what they bought.  This policy only invites the dishonest people to take advantage of sellers.  You can't tell me there won't be a lot of people buying things, using them, breaking them 4 months later and then filing a claim with Paypal saying it's not as described because it doesn't work.  Between Ebay's continuing security problems and this new policy it's time to stop doing business with both of them and move on.

Login to Me Too

partsrus
Contributor
Contributor

As a member in good standing for 16 years you can read my new post on the 180 day policy change. As sellers we have not only made money together but we have helped to build this company from the days when it was an auction site for selling a Pez collection. It is my belief that if we have to keep enough money in our account to cover the potentiality of any number of high dollar items that could be returned, it will only make more interest monies for Ebay and the 1st National Bank of Ebay, PayPal.

Login to Me Too

COINSELLER1011
Contributor
Contributor

Sometimes I wonder just who thinks up these changes in policy and how much money is wasted implementing bad ideas.  When I phoned Paypal about this upcoming change (and I urge everyone to phone in and let them  know what a bad idea this change really is), the Paypal representative explained to me that the rational behind this change was to direct more people filing chargebacks with their credit card company, to go directlly through Paypal instead.  Why?  Tell me, is the benefit of directing more people who file chargebacks to go directly through Paypal worth broadening the return policy from 45 days to 180 days for EVERYONE, and MAKING THE PROBLEM OF RETURNS AND CHARGEBACKS MORE FREQUENT.  While chargebacks are probably a small percentages, this new change will open the floodgates for thousands of bogus return claims for just about any reason.  Yes, there will be some valid claims, but far more without merit because of a six-month time frame.  I understand that protecting the customer is important, and I give returns for any reason, WITHIN A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME!  SIX MONTHS IS UNREASONABLE.  I have very few returns, and even less chargebacks, probably less than 1% of my sales, but this extension of return time will cause this number to increase.  Is is logical!!!  Increase the time a return can be made, and you get more returns.  This change in policy provides an incentive for BAD BEHAVIOR on the part of the buyer, and this change should not be implemented.  Paypal and E-bay should be a safe environment for both the BUYER and SELLER!  CONTACT PAYPAL AND LET THEM KNOW HOW YOUR FEEL ABOUT THIS CHANGE IN POLICY, BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!!!

Login to Me Too

Linda74
New Community Member

I totally agree the extensions of 45 days which is long enough to 180 days is completely  insane.    The buyer receives the item, he is happy or not, so he has to react as soon as possible as refund and relisting the item are a waste of time.  Ok, the guy travels for his job, he is in a flea market, he is busy but even 30 days is enough. When you buy in a store they don't give you 180 days. You have to know what you buy and extend for a such long period the transaction is ridiculous.  The buyer has time to alter it, to damage it, to ???   this is not a good policy for the sellers who try to make a living or some extra bucks at the end of the month.  Tracking number, received-delivered, so 30 days is fine unless the buyer can proove he is in a hospital, sick or at least gives an explanation within the 30 days.  I totally disagree with this 180 days.  I sell with no return because of this too long period.  But if a customer tells me it is a mistake so yes, no problem, I will help my customers until they are completely satisfied. 

NO 180 days 

Login to Me Too

partsrus
Contributor
Contributor

Everyone, and I mean everyone, I have talked to about this change has told me that they are through with Ebay and PayPal. The negative press on this must be, MUST BE, spread to everyone we meet and talk to.

This change needs to be repealed long before it has a chance to take affect.

PayPal please do not pee on my leg and call it rain!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.