My paypal is Banned because a user tried to scam me. what do i do?

PhillyWireless
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, I've been using Paypal for many years, and just recently opened a business account back in February. I never used Paypal for receiving payments before, so when they saw the high amount of money coming in, they placed an hold on my account. 

I sent in all adequate details, letting them know I am a repair shop. We buy, sell trade, unlock phones. I purchase my phones from offer up, craigslist, ebay, and swappa. I give them all information necessary of receipts showing where I get my phones. Things are fine, they pur a 15% hold on my income and let me know that I am high risk because many people open cases about phones. 

Well fast forward to this past weekend, I purchase 5 iPhone 7 from one of my suppliers. I have receipts and inventory list. I list the items on ebay. There were fake users who were hiking the bids up to 10 grand. I call ebay and aks them what to do, they walk me through on how to remove the users bids. Upon my items ending, the users jiked the bid up over 5 grand and immediately paid. 

I called Paypal and asked them what should I do as I don't think this was a real person or an actual buyer. They told me to ship anyways because the money was in my paypal account on hold. As i am on my way to the post office, I message the buyer to let them know that I am shipping their devices. 5 minutes later I get an email stating that the user filed an unauthorized claim. I did not ship the phones at this point, so I call Paypal and ask them what I should do. They tell me to not ship the phones and they would call me Monday to let me know what to do. Well Monday came, and I receive an email saying my Paypal is on Hold, and that I needed to upload the same documents I had uploaded 7 months ago. I ask paypal why was I the one being limited since the user tried to scam me and i did everything i thought i was suppose to do. They flipped the script on me asking me where I got the phones, how did i get so many, the iphone 7 hasnt release, they arent available in stores, all this BS. I try to let the person know that its my job, I buy and resale phones. People get upgrades are their plans, and instead of upgrading to the next phone, they sell their upgrade for extra cash. its happens all the time a new phone comes around. But anywhom, I let the person know that I bought them through a regular supplier who sells me phones. But he goes off on the I'm lying about people who upgrade their phone. That people who upgrade their phone spend the full amount on the phone. so why would they spend the full amount on the phone and sell it to me. I was trying to explain, even though it has nothing to do with where I got there particular phones from, that people don't fully pay for their phone when they buy a phone in store. There are financing options, buy one get one free promotions, all  sorts of promotions that give people discounts. I tell him there are hundreds listed on ebay already, and he goes who are you to tell me that these people accounts are limited. I'm like whoa buddy, no one said anything about their accounts, I'm just saying where do you think they got access to the phone. People get iPhone 7 all the time. Preorders ect. Well he tells me im lying and tells me hes shutting down my paypal account banning me and that we cannot do business together anymore. I never felt so disgusted in my life that someone who swore he knew so much about phones, be so wrong. And then i ask him well sir, how do i fix my account then, because i have legit proof i bought these phones, and hes like well you need to upload them to resolution center, but since we are parting ways, you won't have access to that. And then proceeds to hang up on me. 

SO I got back into my Paypal, and what do you know, as I log on it says you no longer have access to paypal but you can still view your account. And then i hit resolution center to upload the documents, and I am blocked out of there. Tried calling back telling another person what's going on. I explain the same things to them, and they send me an upload link. Upload link ends up taking me to paypal credit page. So i just give up. I haven't had any cases opened up against me in months, and the only cases that were against me were for a buyer choosing the wrong color, and another buyer for accidentally buying the wrong item in which I refunded or exchanged out the devices. This is totally unfair to me, I've done over 100k in business with paypal and they just write me off like a bad check. On top of that they still have 7 grand of my money on hold and told me i can't have access to that for half a year. WHAT DO I DO??????

Login to Me Too
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I read no further after you said phones...that was it.  Phones are a high risk item for disputes and chargebacks, scams etc, expect your account to be undergoing holds and verification and other various problems and ultimately closure.  Every time there is a dispute or chargeback, PayPal lose money.  They may have to pay out of their own pocket to reimburse you on chargebacks if your transaction is eligible for seller protection as well as losing their service fees for moving the money for you to begin with.

Nah, it's done.  Find something low risk to sell.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
Solved

Unfairpractices
Contributor
Contributor

Philly I may have bought from you before, I see your posts on swappa.

I sell phones too and my account was permanently disabled for buying and selling with no appeal last week.

they claim phones are high risk and my increased revenues is suspicious.

I still have business friends who do 10-20x more business than I do through paypal, and their accounts are fine.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I read no further after you said phones...that was it.  Phones are a high risk item for disputes and chargebacks, scams etc, expect your account to be undergoing holds and verification and other various problems and ultimately closure.  Every time there is a dispute or chargeback, PayPal lose money.  They may have to pay out of their own pocket to reimburse you on chargebacks if your transaction is eligible for seller protection as well as losing their service fees for moving the money for you to begin with.

Nah, it's done.  Find something low risk to sell.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too
Solved

Unfairpractices
Contributor
Contributor

Philly I may have bought from you before, I see your posts on swappa.

I sell phones too and my account was permanently disabled for buying and selling with no appeal last week.

they claim phones are high risk and my increased revenues is suspicious.

I still have business friends who do 10-20x more business than I do through paypal, and their accounts are fine.

Login to Me Too

USofAllOfUsA
Contributor
Contributor

I wish I had a solution for you because the flippant response from the PayPal "volunteer advisor" was so unprofessional I can't believe it's listed as the solution!  EBay and PayPal are both anti-seller and play (with your money) by their own self serving rules. Hopefully the future in banking and commerce will move toward a bitcoin (blockchain) model.

So, all I can offer is a nod of sympathy and support. Good luck.

(Try a search on TED Talks for blockchain. There's some excellent explanations)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.