Incompetent and frustrating - you've just lost a customer

amcp1
New Community Member

In Summary,

Been a paypal member for many years and have bought many items from ebay and used to donate to various charities.

Made first ever sale on ebay.

Buyer paid on 26 Aug

Received email from Paypal 30 days later - to my email address addressed to email address - not my first name and surname as advised in security protocols - therefore assumed this to be a phishing email.

Transpires that P:aypal have claimed that my account was not verfified and returned payment to buyer.

Have spent best part of a week trying to reclaim payment from buyer.

Ebay not interested as original transaction happened over 32 days ago.

Paypal - say that it is not their responsibility

Buyer has now paid

Paypal say that I have to wait 21 days for payment, earliest payment date 22 October. 

Question - if my account is not verified, as you claim,, why are you happy for me to make payments?

The whole customer service, dispute resolution, is appalling.

Enjoy your £8.99 fee, it is the last penny you will receive from me and I will do all in my power to influence potential future users to avoid, current users to close their accounts. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You can pay and donate with unverified accounts up to a certain limit.  If you want to increase that limit, you verify your account. Some people pay and is indicated as unregistered even. PayPal are happy for you to make payment because they allow PayPal accounts to be optional when paying through PayPal and limit the amount you can send to start.  It's when you begin receiving payments from PayPal where you really need to verify your account before you do anything.  PayPal encourages you to verify your account regardless.

Since you are unverified, I suspect they address you as an email address and not your full name because you have only verified your email address, not your identity by adding card and bank account and/or national ID number and going through the whole verification process.  

To be verified, you are offering a little bit more info about yourself to confirm your identity.  Once you have done so PayPal will also lift your withdraw limits if you sell.  And because this is your first sale, PayPal delay funds for a period of time until you have built up a satisfactory history as a seller with them.  This delay is common industry practice.

I think the problem is that you have not thoroughly investigated how your PayPal account works and feel like you should be able to do whatever then have a fit when it don't go your way then putting the blame on PayPal. Their terms and conditions are mapped out for people to read and PayPal expects you to read it when you signed up.  There's no heavy lawyer lingo, easy to understand and quite an interesting read. Just click Legal at the bottom of any page. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Sabina_Angelia
Contributor
Contributor

'.You better verify the email that you receive before assuming.

Read paypal policy terms and conditions before do anything. just saying...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.