Feedback on PayPal's upcoming policy change - Mar 2017

quiettime
Contributor
Contributor

I recenly received an e-mail about PayPal's upcoming policy changes for March 2017. I have two issues with these policy changes.

1. "PayPal is updating its set off rights allowing us to debit a PayPal account when an amount owed to PayPal, our affiliates or eBay, Inc. becomes past due by removing the 180 day past due requirement."

So what does that mean, paypal can debit my account at any time it wants? That change should be explained better, and I don't like the idea of PayPal just automatically pulling money out of my account without notice. I prefer to pay my invoices manually, and it would be nice to know how much time I have before an automatic debit (as I do right now).

2. We are adding a non-discouragement clause for sellers that provides:
In representations to your customers or in public communications, you agree not to mischaracterize PayPal as a payment method. At all of your points of sale (in whatever form), you agree not to try to dissuade or inhibit your customers from using PayPal; and, if you enable your customers to pay you with PayPal, you agree to treat PayPal’s payment mark at least at par with other payment methods offered.

This is absurd, who are you to tell me what I can tell people that are buying my product? Let me give you a real life example where I have dissuaded buyers from using PayPal. I sold several laptops eBay and for two of them offered local pickup. In the eBay ad I put a message saying if you want to pickup locally do NOT use paypal. Now why do I do that? Because PayPal offers zero seller protection on local pickups. In other words, someone can PayPal me, pick it up locally, and if the transaction is phony I'm out money. Basically PayPal would be collecting a fee they simply didn't deserve because they aren't ensuring (or insuring if you like) my transaction. Why the **bleep** would I give someone a fee and risk my money when I don't have to?

Well, I hope someone on PayPal's legal team who is writing these upcoming policy changes is reading this!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

ResqDogz
Contributor
Contributor

I would surmise that PayPal DOESN'T offer protection for local pickup items, as there is no manner by which to provie verification or confirmation that an item HAS been picked up or delivered to the buyer.... unlike tracking confirmations available from most all commercial delivery avenues (USPS, UPS, FEDEX, etc)? Perhaps if they were to offer the option to upload a signed document attesting to receipt by your buyers - for which they (PayPal) would agree to offer buyer/seller protections on - that might resolve concerns on both side?

I have a beef with eBay, too, since my 18-year, 1000% positive rating is continually denied a more elevated status, because I have an auction (running continually now, for over six years) selling out-of-date snowblower manuals - to be delivered electronically (PDF's sent via email): Since I cannot provide a tracking number (though I DO maintain detailed records of messages sent and received), they dock my scores... despite the fact that THEY are the party that doesn't provide an alternative method to verify delivery!

As far as your concerns regarding the elimination of the prior 180-day prohibition against withdrawing past-due funds and fees, I have to concur with PayPal - that 180-days is FAR too long to have to wait for payments due-and-owing: If I had to wait that long for a buyer to pay me, I'd be outraged. That said, I fully concur with your suggestion that PayPal MUST offer a deadline for submission of late payments - delineating the precise day when funds would be automatically withdrawn to cover those obligations... say, 10-days past the due date? Of course, if funds are on deposit in an account that has an outstanding fee due, why would anyone object to those fee being automatically debited when due? eBay regularly (on a monthly basis) deducts accumulated charges from my PayPal account - clearly advising well in advance that somewhere between the 10th and the 15th of the month, the (specified amount) will be deducted... a notice that always arrives suffiently in advance, to allow me the opportunity to review my eBay sales and auction listing to verify the veracity of those charges and contact them to make any necessary adjustments before those deductions occur.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.