Feedback about PayPal's Decision in NC

Roncz
New Community Member

Glad to see your company is taking a stand on the discriminatory practices in NC. Congratulations.

Login to Me Too
842 REPLIES 842

Iboycott
New Community Member

The United States is based on the premise that government is by, for, and of the people, not big business.  As usual when big business tries to influence legislation it has nothing to do with what is good policy for the people.  Trying to look compassionate by coercing state governments to support policies that put women and young girls at risk of predators in restrooms is the perfect example of this.  I like Paypal services but I like my freedom and my country much more.   I will close my account and encourage others to do the same in the hope that Paypal will lose much more than they ever hoped to gain by pushing thier social engineering agenda on North Carolina.

Login to Me Too

Larfun
Contributor
Contributor

The Legislation is not Anti-Gay, not Anti-Lesbian, not Anti-Bisexual.  It states that men are not allowed in women's restrooms.  What's the problem?  Gays use their gender assigned restroom, Lesbians use their gender-assigned restroom, Bisexuals use their gender assigned restroom.  The legislation just says you use the bathroom where the stalls are most appropriate for your personal plumbing.  I don't want any men in my daughter's bathroom at school...and that doesn not mean I'm full of hate, thank you!

Paypal, if this was truly an LGBTQ(RSTUVWXYZ) discrimination issue, I would expect you to push back.  Please look at this objectively and not politically.

Login to Me Too

ruthless7

I have withdrawn all of my money from Paypal and will close my account since they cannot support my state's laws in N.C.  I do not want men in the restroom with my wife and daughter. Since Paypal cannot agree with a common sense law they will no longer be supported by me.

Login to Me Too

Mark_in_FL
Contributor
Contributor

You do realize you completely failed to mention the people affected by this law? You might want to educate yourself about what LGBTQ stands for instead of having the usual ignorant 3rd grade response of adding the rest of the alphabet to something you feel is to scary to try to understand. You stopped just one letter short of the possibility of understanding the issue at hand.

Login to Me Too

Lucybgucy
New Community Member
I have so much respect for PayPal now. Good job for pulling out of North Carolina due to the new discriminatory law. I am a LONG time user of PayPal and no, I don't have any LGBT family members. However, it is really only bigger businesses that have the power economically to stand up and do the right thing. Yes, not everyone in NC agrees with this new law but with their voices and big businesses pulling their economic might, it will eliminate the law and discourage other states from creating similar laws. I think the NC legislators would think differently if a Muslim owned business refused service to any woman for not wearing a head scarf... Does any politician in NC remember their history and the beginning seeds of the Holocaust? Segregation? Thank you PayPal for doing the right thing.
Login to Me Too

Iamout
Contributor
Contributor

A couple corrections, Lucy.

First, Paypal is not "pulling out" of NC, they are just stopping their expasion so hold your applause.

Second, the comparison of not serving someone based on attire related to religion is an inappropriate analogy as no one ever suggested not allowing the person to use the restroom or withholding services on the basis of chosen identity. 

Comparing this to segregation and the Holocaust?  Because people want to protect their privacy in restrooms and legislators don't want a conflicting and confused patchwork quilt of social-activist inspired "rights" that make it too difficult for people and busiensses to comply?  Do you have to resort to implying that people with a different view are rascists or Nazis because they want a logical and controlled framework to these laws before disrupting society and removing basic protections for privacy?

Interesting note -   The laws to compel businesses to allow use of bathrooms by choice, which Charlotte's council passed that motivated the state to pass HB2, do not exist in many other places.  I suggest that Paypal spearhead the effort to get the same law passed in San Jose, their CA HQ location.  Actually, they don't even have to wait - Paypal should enact the same practice within their buildings today.  I may not agree with them, but I would certainly applaud their integrity for putting their money where their mouth is.  But I'm still moving off Paypal by end of month.

Login to Me Too

Mark_in_FL
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal has carried a 100% rating by civil rights groups due to their internal policies. Their integrity is entirely intact.

BTW, do you realize this act will legally require transgender women who look like women and dress like women to use the men''s room where they are extremely likely to face serious harassment if not outright violence from some of their low education high bigotry fellow citizens? Same for transgender men who enter the women's room and some woman starts freaking out because they think a man is in there with them. Totally unnecessary confrontations will result where there was no actual problem before.

Login to Me Too

Iamout
Contributor
Contributor

It's amazing how so many of these posts against the NC law either imply or directly state that its supporters must be motivated by "low education and high bigotry." 

You're free to continue to support PayPal.  As for me, if you force me to make the choice, I'll support those who protect the privacy of women and young girls at the risk of a grown man being assaulted in a men's room for dressing like woman.  I think the odds are a quite a bit higher that our female population is more at risk for indecent, lewd and even dangerous situations than the transgender man.  Of course, making this a choice between the two is false one anyway.  It's like saying that we can't have affirmative action because someone will be a victim of reverse discrimination. There has to be evidence that the harm to one outweighs the good to others, and the statistics don't support the "endangered transgender man" argument. By the way, again I remind everyone, the law doesn't prohibit business or towns from enabling transgender people from using the restroom of their choice.  The law just removes the compulsion of the businesses and towns to provide this.

Login to Me Too

servingthesavio
New Community Member

paypal should stay out of politics and morality issues. no matter what side they take in this they are discriminating against somebody

Login to Me Too

Justathanks
New Community Member

Good work paypal! Glad to hold an account with a company that makes a stance. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.