Credit cards need to have Currency options

andrewlindzon
Contributor
Contributor

Most intelligent Canadian's keep US and Canadian credit cards, so we can transact purchases without worrying about spot exchange rates.

For some reason paypal has broken their own system by automaticaly assuming all credit cards associated with a Canadian account are in Canadian funds.

Please just add an optional field to let us specify if the card's currency is US or Canadian, or alternatively give us the option when making a payment to NOT have paypal convert but just process in the currency of the transaction.

For example I am trying to pay a Chinese company for a small purchase in US funds, shipping to Canada, and I want to use my US Visa card which has been issues by a Canadian bank.

Now I cannot do that.

I also have US Visa cards issued by US banks, but I cannot put a US billing address into my account, it assums all my billing addresses are in Canada, which again is a very silly assumption to make.

These are all things that should be addressed if you want paying with paypal to be the way Canadian's pay for their purchases.

I am writing as both a buyer and a merchant. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

in2world
New Community Member

Very very good suggestion on basic basic needs. 

Can't believe as of today end of 2016, Canadian still doesn't have this option. Really?! 

Login to Me Too

missy-v
New Community Member

This option was available, as I've used it to make USD purchases and chose the option to have my credit card do the conversion (I have a Canadian $ credit card but as it has no exhange rate fees the exchange is better).  The option has disappeared.

Reached out to PayPal customer service today and the CSR said they removed this option to "avoid confusion" for their customers.   Laughable. 

If I wish to pay in USD, she indicated I need a US PayPal account which needs a US address.

Sadly this will deter me from using PayPal.

Login to Me Too

andrewlindzon
Contributor
Contributor

Yes they fixed it.  But they could still improve on it to avoid accidental conversion errors.  For example if we could designate the currency of the account or credit card, and if it always defaulted to using that currency it could avoid what happened to me, where I used a US card, and did not notice that paypal still processed it in Canadian by default even though it was a US supplier.  

So the solution is allow us to attach a currency to a payment method, and always default to that currency when that method is selected.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.