Completely unhelpful in solving an accidentally opened dispute

lydiatess
New Community Member

I had a dispute opened up against me in the middle of December, but the person who it said opened up a dispute against me did not. It wasn't an itemized transaction, and I know this person personally. She used her own credit card on her mother's PayPal account and we're pretty sure her mother's bank might have sent the dispute without her mother knowing because she was having issues with her credit card. She recently had an issue with her credit card and went to the bank for help, and we were pretty sure the bank said it was an unauthorized payment and opened up a dispute, even though it wasn't her mother's credit card, only her account.

I am not paying the negative balance because I do not trust that it will go where it needs to go. I called an agent through the entirely unhelpful automated customer service line, and he basically told me he couldn't do anything and it was up to PayPal, but I did send in screenshots of texts saying she hadn't opened up the case.

Then, my friend AND her mother called and spoke to an agent and they said everything should be cleared up by Monday, Jan 9th, and here it is Friday, Jan 13th and I still have a negative account balance. I don't mind paying the chargeback even though it's completely ridiculous, but I am NOT paying the $145 because again, I DO NOT trust that it will go where it needs to go. I have received absolutely ZERO communication from anyone about the matter other than to say if I don't pay the negative balance, there will be other fees incurred. I will continue to call, email, and Facebook message until this matter gets resolved and my account balance returns to zero.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

How is it even possible that your lady friend was able to add her card to her mother's account.  Everyone must use their payment method with their own PayPal account. 

I guess this bank can tell if credit card used matches the PayPal account or not and they contact PayPal and they open a case on it.  

In terms of the money going where it needs to be if paying back the negative balance, it does.  

If this money was a payment to you and you withdrew or spent the money already, that puts your account at zero.  When there is a dispute case, PayPal earmarks the amount of the dispute on hold against your empty account, putting it in the negative.  If the dispute goes in favor of the sender, the money on dispute hold would go back to your lady friend and you pay back the money you already spent/withdrew, zeroing out your account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.