Chargeback - Customer is Dishonest

SIckoftheBS
Contributor
Contributor

I recently sold a lady a 600.00 piece of furniture, she was very happy and loved it.  She files a chargeback, and the money is taken from my account.  I respond to the claim stating that she has the piece, that she was very happy with the piece, but that didnt matter.

Paypal says they will respond and see what happens.  Apparently, American Express responds and sides with their client.  

Im shocked that this is how business is done...where is the protection for the seller??

I since asked Paypal to show me the documentation where American Express responded siding with their client, to date, Paypal will not respond to that request, nor have they done anything to help me with this situation.  They however, are immediate when it comes to taking the fees when Ive used their services.

Paypal is one of the worst services out there....truly sad business.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SIckoftheBS

Whats it got to do with paypal? This is a chargeback done directly via the buyers credit card company so the result would have been the same if you had paid with a credit card direct and omitted paypal.

HOWEVER with paypal they give you seller protection with chargebacks as long as you met all the requirements of seller protection.

As you were not reimbursed then you presumably did not meet that criteria and that was maybe because the item was collected?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SIckoftheBS
Contributor
Contributor

Kudos,

Thanks for your repsonse, but that is not the case.

Using Paypal, and having Paypal tell you they have your back is BS.  They don't and can't have my back, they have no authority to do so, they are simply a 3rd party.

You are correct in that she could have charged back regardless of Paypal, however, I used Paypal's services and as they promote being the liaison for their customers, and offering protection, they simple do not.   That is regardless of the Sellers Protection just so were clear.

Also, to clarify...I responded to the chargeback, submitting all the documentation necessary going as far as sending them her written responses to having the unit and her being pleased with her purchase.  To further make the matters worse, I received an email from Paypal stating that her creditcard company sided with the buyer, however, in the Resolutions Center, in the case history, they stated that I had won and I should see my money with 2 days...so please tell me which is it?  When I asked for them to clarify and provide the documentation confirming which it was, they have since ignored me and my requests.  This is something that I think is a fair request, and should be provided.  In addition, I reached out to American Express and had one of their representatives on the phone for almost an hour trying to help get this situation resolved, and not even she could get them to provided sensible information.

In speaking with my buyer, after pursuing legal action, she said that she cancelled the dispute, and said that Amex would be paying the invoice,  However, to date Ive received nothing.   

Being a person in business, and understanding stuff happens, I struggle with a company that says one thing and does another, especially one as big as Paypal.

And in reading most of these posts, Im not the only one that thinks so.

Simply poor business practice...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SIckoftheBS

Still struggling to wade through that lot and get an answer to my question.

If you had met ALL the requirements of seller protection then you would have been reimbursed the money.

Paypal does not ''have your back'' they provide seller protection but its up to you to make sure you qualify for that protection.

So why didn't you? Was the item collected or did you send it in a way that does not qualify for that protection?

There must have been some reason.

So all i can say is go read up on seller protection so you don't lose out next time.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SIckoftheBS
Contributor
Contributor

When speaking to Paypal, there is a constant breakdown, especially when it comes to the communication, there is a runaround method in which they relay information.  My assumption is they read from cards, scripted.  

I met all the requirements, and NO, paypal does not reimburse just because they say they will.

At the end of the day, the buyer has a very large antique armoire, that was delivered in perfect condition.  I am out 600.00 dollars, and Paypal are the only ones that know where my money is, and due to the breakdown in communication its unclear to who has it.  I believe I would know more on that if they would simply confirm  if they simply confirm what was apparently received from American Express, in which I would pursue other avenues to collect my monies.

This experience has taught me much in the manner with which I work, and deliver to clients.  Unfortunately, its a method now that makes sure Im covered even when they try to chargeback once the delivery has been made.

Most my clients dont use a merchant service on a daily basis, so Paypal is sadly the average go to.  Though the applying for a paypal account is simple, the overall step up is not, using them above the every blue moon transaction they are not the company I would everrrrrr recommend outside of that.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You are supposed to cover your own back too.  I never believed in the protection that PayPal provides, it's more like a small, minor perk for lack of a better word so I became my own last line of defense.

PayPal never said their protection is 100% and for privacy purposes they do not reveal the dispute between the card issuer and PayPal merchant account. Since you know the card used, you can contact issuer, tell them you have this case, provide the buyer info, case info and your evidence.  That's all you can do.  You cannot ask for information.  What they do with it, who knows.  

In regards of the money, the buyer has it.  Or PayPal refunded Amex who credited their buyer.  You buyer got a free armoire.  I would also file a complaint at ic3.gov and at the buyer local police dept and your police dept.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.