Can't remove bank account

uberchar
Contributor
Contributor

All my payments have been processed by my bank already, yet I still can't remove my bank account.

The error im receiving is this:

You cannot remove this bank account because it currently has a pending transaction. This transaction may take up to 6-8 days to complete, at which time you will be able to remove the bank account. Please try again after the transaction has been completed.

This is the 3rd week.

Login to Me Too
43 REPLIES 43

amitynyc
Contributor
Contributor

Figured it out,  I never confirmed my bank account, because I prefer to use my credit card, so when I clicked on there I was given 2 options, confirm instantly or with deposits, no remove bank button, so I clicked on confirm with deposits, that's when the 2 options change to confirm or remove, clicked remove, problem solved, thank you for your reply.

Login to Me Too

T9_312
New Community Member

I can't remove mine either.

There's no stupid transaction pending.. know why because I've cancelled EVERYTHING associated with my old bank.

I check up on the status of this.. TWO MONTHS LATER.. and it says I have a pending transaction!?

How can a well established website that makes changes ALL THE TIME to their website to IMPROVE it have yet to fix this?!

It's not hard devs! It's not hard! You know what you do?

ALLOW ME TO REMOVE IT MYSELF AND HAVE ANY SO CALLED "PENDING PAYMENTS" BE FORCED TO THE NEW BANK ACCOUNT! HOW HARD IS THAT!? REALLY, JUST HOW HARD!?!

I have migrated everything to the new bank... BUT OH NO.. recently Paypal uses my old bank!? SERIOUSLY!? WHAT  PART OF LET ME REMOVE IT DO YOU FIND DIFFICULT!?

Login to Me Too

zhaltees
Contributor
Contributor

Here's a better one!

I have been using Paypall on our joint account with my wife. My former wife... We no longer share that account, she is the only owner of it now. I can still pay with it and accidently did that few times as it was appearing as my default account.

Still can not remove it...

Well done PayPall for making me explain myself to my ex!

Login to Me Too

aebuell
Contributor
Contributor

That happens to me, too. The account that it won't let me remove shows up as my default, so every now and then I accidentally use it. So annoying. I have been trying to remove my account for 2 years but can't because of "pending transactions".

Login to Me Too

Nickofknox
I hope this will help someone on this topic. It seems relatively impossible to remove a bank account from PayPal. My account was even closed and I had a new account which was already added. PayPal said my old account had pending transactions (which is untrue), and that is why the bank account THAT NO LONGER EXISTS could not be removed. So next time I used PayPal I purposefully made it use the non-existent bank account. to see what would happen. It took them about a week but they changed it to my backup payment option for said transaction and removed the account that was no longer usable. Hooray! Good luck!
Login to Me Too

DaytonaJohn
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having problems with "in progress" transactions. Numerous transactions that have been complete for over three months are being marked as "in progress" by PayPal. I did get one transaction corrected by using their "secure message service", but had to go through several iterations: their first reply is a canned nonsense reply that just references a list of irrelevant FAQs, their second reply is a "not our fault, contact the seller" (probably also canned), the third reply appeared to be an actual person who actually fixed the problem. Unfortunately, it wasn't till after the above that I discovered many transactions similarly marked incorrectly. It wouldn't be a problem if they didn't restrict what you can do based on there being "in progress" transactions. I sent another reply to PayPal asking them to correct all of their incorrect status markings. If that doesn't work, I intend to terminate my account.

Login to Me Too

La1n
New Community Member

Just called them today, I would suggest just make a call to the customer service and they will help you remove it in no time. My story is this: I forgot my bank account was on low balance and there was a recurring fee paid on paypal. I got a message from my bank that I was charged $40 due to the transaction and I was like woops. So I tried to disassociated the bank account from my paypal account but everytime I tried that I got a error message "pending transaction". So I just made a call to customer service. At first it asks me to go through the steps I already did. One thing you need to know is that if you want to speak with a person you need to say "Customer service". If you say "remove a bank account" you will be transfered to the robot and tell you to go through the steps again and again. So after spoke with the person, I got the account removed. I would say the customer is really helpful, polite and patient.

Login to Me Too

aebuell
Contributor
Contributor

That is a really helpful tip. I called and unfortunately got the robot, which didn't tell me of any option to get out of the stupid instructions being repeated and was pretty infuriating.  Took me forever to get through to a person. 

Login to Me Too

Alcorn60
Contributor
Contributor

Just call them on the freephone number provided ,and they will remove for you. They are very helpfull and polite.

I had exactly the same problem,it turned out that somtime in the past I had had an issue with a seller onEbay ,it was all sorted but it did not clear correctly on PayPal . Hence the message pending transaction. Basically it needed a human interation to clear error and the old account and debit card removed instantly.

Login to Me Too

KS64
New Community Member

I have had the same issues and have tried to remove my primary bank account on countless occasions.  I always just give up and resolve to make certain I choose the correct payment method when I am using PayPal... HOWEVER... this time, when the payment method defaulted to my bank account I missed it, and the bank paid the measly $13.77 charge.  Then they re-ordered my previous charges, payments and debits to maximize their overdraft gains, which left my balance at -$319.83.  Spectacular.  Although I had no pending transactions from this bank account, the website would not let me remove the account.  

Although it is Sunday at 9 am EST, there was someone answering the phone at the PayPal Customer Suppport Center, and he swiftly removed the bank account from my PayPal Wallet with no questions asked.  

Although I am frustrated that the site will not allow removal of the account from a desktop or mobile device, I can't complain at all about the availability of a live human to complete the task for me.    So, my advice is to give them a quick phone call.  If you click on support while logged into your account, it generates a one time passcode that validates you in the phone system when you call.  Genius.  

Hope this is helpful!  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.