Add a phone not from America

MarcUdon
Contributor
Contributor

So I recently moved from the USA to Thailand and tried to use Paypal to pay for my travel visa fees and hotel for a trip to Vietnam.  I got the Immigration form all complete, clicked the PayPal method of payment, and since Paypal did not recognize the computer I was using and asked for furher identification.

Ok I appreciate the need for security these days and since moving many of my online vendors etc have needed to take further security steps to assure it was me.  So the choices are usually a text to my mobile phone or an email.  Well the phone on file was my TMobile cell phone which was disconnected the day I moved and the format Paypal is looking for is (xxx)-(xxx)-(xxxx).

But my cell phone is +66-xxx-xxx-xxxx and that was a no go with Paypal.  No other choice, no email nothing.

By that time Paypal would not allow me to back up within the transaction to select another method of payment and move on so I had to cancel the session and am no dealing with the immigration department to send an alternate form of payment.

So it seems Paypal has not figured out how to serve those of us who travel or live elsewhere part of the year for for 9 months of the year they will lose all of my hotel and travel booking fees....unless they correct or add to the security measures.

Duh!  Even I would have thought that one out years ago.  Especially now when many folks are retiring and traveling more. They are missing the ability to served millions and lose the revenue amounting to billions.  I think a shareholders letter is next!

Any ideas how to solve this issue in the short term?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MarcUdon

Paypal is not a bank so its not really designed to be used internationally.

If you move country you have to open a different paypal account in another country.

If you are abroad you have to make sure you use the same phone or paypal will think your paypal account has been hijacked and being used by a scammer internationally.

The best option is to inform them before you go travelling that you may be using your phone app abroad so they know it is you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MarcUdon
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  I'll just use a bank card when I travel.

Marc

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MarcUdon

Probably your best bet.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

OdysseySeaGlass
Contributor
Contributor

"The best option is to inform them before you go travelling that you may be using your phone app abroad so they know it is you." How do I inform Paypal about being in another country?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.