concerned about giving out info

UsukiDoll
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I wanted to add funds from my bank account, but I can't because it requires additional verification. First of all, there is no way that I will give out my personal information due to all the crazy internet things out there. I don't want to give out sensitive info due to security reasons. Although adding funds from a bank account takes 3-5 days, I prefer this method because I don't know any store that sells a Moneypak card. I'm steamed that this is happening! I never had any problems before this. -___-*
I want this fixed.

Login to Me Too
156 REPLIES 156

i do not like the "$250/year and info gathering" policy that greendot corp imposes on paypal members at all. in your case, the alternate method you mentioned to get the rest of those funds from moneypak into paypal account may be your best bet, just make sure to link the walmart prepaid card to paypal as a funding source. if you end up with moneypaks again within this year, put them directly on the walmart prepaid to avoid the same hassle.

Login to Me Too

Ricebro619

The Moneypak helpline is not offering a solution about this. They kept saying to contact paypal about this problem.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi everyone,

I've seen an increase in questions on MoneyPak verification so I've merged those questions into a single topic. I'd like to provide more information about this process. 🙂

From the MoneyPak website: (I recommend reading through the frequently asked questions on this page)

Green Dot wrote:

What information will I need to provide to add money to my PayPal account with a MoneyPak?
PayPal requires you to provide your name, address, date of birth and Social Security Number in order for Green Dot to verify your identity before you can use the MoneyPak to add money to your PayPal account. Green Dot will collect, verify and record this information on behalf of PayPal. This information WILL NOT be used for a credit check or marketing purposes.

How are you verifying my information? Are you doing a credit check?
We verify your identity information with a national database. This is not a credit check.

PayPal does require that a name, address, date of birth and Social Security Number be provided to verify your identity before you can use a MoneyPak to add money to your PayPal account.  Once this information has been verified, $4000.00 USD can be added to a PayPal account per month.

After reading through this thread, I know many of you are not passing the verification and want to know why.  There are a few possible explanations.  PayPal and Green Dot are not provided with an answer to "why is verification failing?" so it's not possible for us to provide a specific explanation.

So what are the possible explanations?  I'm going to assume that the correct information is being entered without any typos. 🙂

• Possibility 1: MoneyPak will not work if the user is under the age of 18. In order to use PayPal Services, you must be at least 18 years old. If you have already purchased a MoneyPak, please click here to request a refund of your MoneyPak balance.  If you are using a PayPal Student account, please consider asking your parent to add funds using the MoneyPak and transfer those funds to your PayPal Student account.
  • Possibility 2: There is no record of that person in the national database.  If you don't have any credit history, it's possible there may not be any record of you in national databases yet.
  • Possibility 3: The information being provided does not match with the national database.  If you recently changed your name or moved, the information entered may not match with the national database if they don't have the updated information on file.  Usually this information will automatically update over time once those changes have been updated with any credit reporting financial institutions you use.  I know some people like to contact the major credit bureaus directly to see if their information can be updated or to correct any inaccuracies.

Remember that if you are having issues using the MoneyPak, Green Dot can be contacted to provide assistance.  Their contact info is listed on their website at the bottom of the FAQ page.  The link to request a refund of your MoneyPak balance is: here.

I hope this post was helpful to explain this process in greater detail. 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

noob5000000
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm, not having a credit history is probably my problem. Why does it matter? All I'm trying to do is addcash to my PayPal account. I've already paid the money to get the MoneyPak, it's not like I can commit some sort of fraud with it. PayPal has my name, address, date of birth, SSN, etc, why won't Green Dot allow me to spend my money?

Thanks for nothing Green Dot and PayPal. I'll never do business with Green Dot again. I wish there was another way to make electronic purchases online between individuals, I'd also sever all ties with PayPal in a second.

Login to Me Too

KLFarms

So Frank, tell me something; WTF is up with the national database BS to use a green dot money pak?

Four hours of the spinning dots with a blank screen while my address information is verified.  That is after I already closed it out twice thinking it would work if I started over.

I could understand for something like Western Union, that has NO information on you, but PayPal already has it all.

We go through multiple steps to verify our information with PayPal.  Address, bank account, phone number, SSN, it's all in there.  Had my account for YEARS.  Lived at the same address for years.  Have multiple credit cards with all current info.  A car loan with all current info.  Can pull up my credit report online using THEIR verification systems.  So why does the Green Dot system not work?!?

Money laundering?  Please, just report any large deposits to the IRS like any other institution does.  Am I really gonna use something with a $1K per transaction and a $4k per month limit to launder money?  Come on, get real!

PayPal needs to FIX this issue.  How about relying on your OWN database?!?!?

Utterly ridiculous; I have been spending FIVE hours (still unsuccessfully) trying to get a lousy $25 into my PayPal account to send to my son - a friend gave him the moneypak to pay for a game and HE can't redeem it on HIS PayPal account because he's not 18.

Paypal was a great thing and kept getting better when it first came out, and I was an eager early adopter, but if PayPal doesn't stop slipping, more people will be moving to some of the newer, more agile finance startups like Square!

jmtc...

Login to Me Too

selcrysti
Contributor
Contributor

I've just sent my refund request from seeing how this went, wow... this will be the last time I'm EVER getting MoneyPak. I can't believe this... and guess what, I don't feel comfortable showing my SSN, SO YEAH. nice one guys... -__- ...

Login to Me Too

noob5000000
Contributor
Contributor

I also requested a refund. Green Dot obviously isn't interested in resolving this issue.

It's a shame, MoneyPak is a great idea but unfortunately the flaws in the system prevent many people from participating. I've used a MoneyPak in the past with no issues, but it appears Green Dot broke something since then. Their loss, I guess.

Login to Me Too

plloppii
Contributor
Contributor

is there a fix to this yet?

Login to Me Too

shouri
Contributor
Contributor

ya im haveing problems with money pack as well and i just got my account unlocked its telling me this

We were unable to verify the information you provided. As a result, you will not be able to use the MoneyPak to add money to your PayPal account. You have the option to:

Login to Me Too

plloppii
Contributor
Contributor

option to....?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.