concerned about giving out info

UsukiDoll
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I wanted to add funds from my bank account, but I can't because it requires additional verification. First of all, there is no way that I will give out my personal information due to all the crazy internet things out there. I don't want to give out sensitive info due to security reasons. Although adding funds from a bank account takes 3-5 days, I prefer this method because I don't know any store that sells a Moneypak card. I'm steamed that this is happening! I never had any problems before this. -___-*
I want this fixed.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

grandmaslake
Contributor
Contributor

I finally got through!  The woman told me that this limitation was a result of a new law passed by Congress requiring banks to verify the identity of customers.  It sounded a little weak to me, but she was able to verify me by just having me give my birthday.  That was all it took.

Here's how I did it:  I kept telling the little electronic customer service lady that I was angry and that she wan't solving my problem.  They finally suggested I call and gave me an access code that was good for 60 minutes.  That got me to a real person who solved the problem.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
156 REPLIES 156

UsukiDoll
Contributor
Contributor

I never had this trouble before. Come on. Why is paypal asking me for photo id, proof of address, and my ss number to add funds from a bank account? That's sensitive information that shouldn't be sent over the Internet because a lot of dishonest people will commit ID theft.

Login to Me Too

grandmaslake
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this problem, too.  I just sent a nastigram to Customer Service telling them that there is no way I'm going to provide my driver's license, SSN and a utility bill over an insecure online connection.  My account has already been hacked once, and they're not going to get this information in case I get hacked again.

Login to Me Too

Myrith
Contributor
Contributor

I also ran into the same problem a few days ago, after attempting to add funds.

I've tried the "Email Us" web forms on the PayPal contact page to try to get more information. I've submitted questions for both the "How do I resolve my limitation?" and "Can I review the information that caused PayPal to limit my account?" topics, but still no answers.

It seems like lots of people have had this problem lately, based on some of the other threads. This all seems sketchy since no one has gotten a detailed explanation. I'm just not going to provide any info until PayPal gives a good reason besides the vague "for security purposes." I'm thinking I'll just have to get funds transferred from people I know, or just stop using PayPal if the requests don't go away.

I'll post something if I get replies from PayPal about all this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Login to Me Too

UsukiDoll
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. Whew! I'm glad that I am not the only one who is dealing with this. I never had this happen to me before and I was able to transfer funds from the bank account a long time ago. Now, paypal decides to add this snafu up to further **bleep** it's entire users. COME ON Paypal! The customer is always right! Providing a Photo ID, street address, and SS number is an Identity Theft receipe, so do everyone a favor and fix this as soon as possible.

Login to Me Too

mammamare
Contributor
Contributor

I also don't believe it's a good idea to provide "private" information to PayPal in order to link one's bank account.  My biggest question however is "why in the world would they possibly need your pin number?"  No one needs the pin number except the owner of the bank account.  After reading all of your posts I wish I had never linked my bank account and I refuse to give them my pin.  I'll wait the two or three days for them to verify funds.  Does anyone know if it's possible to close all accounts with PayPal and not use them anymore.  I can't seem to get that information from them.  Having asked that question, it's probably too little too late anyway since they already have my bank and credit card information.  Guess I'll need to get knew accounts - what a pain.  Just because PayPal is supposed to be "secure" doesn't mean the employees who work there, and have access to our information, are trustworthy.    The day I linked my bank account to PayPal someone tried to use it in New York (I was on the West Coast at the time) but they couldn't because they didn't have the pin number.  Coincidence?  Perhaps, perhaps not.  Thanks for letting me vent.

Login to Me Too

s33
New Community Member

So why did they take out  the option in "add funds" of our Bank accounts, and when will they fix this!!  I called today and got no where with them!  

Bad customer service!!  

Login to Me Too

UsukiDoll
Contributor
Contributor

Come on PayPal! This is ridiculous! It's been over a week and still no answer to this sudden change? UN #)(**(# REAL!

I, along with other paypal members, want a DECENT explaination regarding your recent change. Either PayPal is hacked, or the workers think that it's a great idea for people to surrender their personal information. Last time I checked, PayPal is always being attacked constantly by hackers.

It just saddens me that you prefer to ****** your users, ebay buyers, and ebay sellers instead of solving this problem. When ebay sellers realize why they are not getting paid, they will learn that your crazy new rules have destroyed them. You are destroying the foundations of the once popular PayPal site. FOR SHAME! Robot Mad

Login to Me Too

grandmaslake
Contributor
Contributor

I have attempted to contact them via their help forms at least four times.  They keep sending robotic form-letter answers.  I am **bleep**.  As someone said earlier, it's a recipe for ID theft for them to demand that I provide my driver's license #, SSN verification and address verification like a utility bill.

And they want this ONLY so I can add money to my account from my bank!!!  My account isn't limited in ANY OTHER WAY.  I, for one, think this smells fishy, because the limit doesn't apply to MoneyPak.  But using MoneyPak is another fee generating service, whereas adding money from my bank doesn't generate any income from them.  So, is this their way of pressuring us to use MoneyPak because it's the only way to add funds to our account without providing info that will quintuple the chance of ID theft???

Sleazy, PayPal.  Sleazy.  If they don't change this policy, I guess I'm done selling and buying on eBay and Ravelry.

Grandmaslake

Login to Me Too

grandmaslake
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, I finally contacted the owners of Ravelry about this.  I buy and sell things there, and have to have a PayPal account to do both.  If I have to close my PayPal account - and I won't hesitate to do so if I have to choose between using PayPal and providing all this info and compromising my ID security - I will close my account.  That means no more buying and selling on Ravelry.  Maybe they can use their leverage to bring some pressure to bear on PayPal to address this issue.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.