USPS Unauthorized Charge

DanceScientist
Contributor
Contributor

According to Paypal, I or someone used my account to express mail a tire to Russia for $179! When I tried to file a dispute, Paypal's site gave me special directions that lead no where. A Google search turned up this thread, with other people having the same problem. The Paypal moderator even acknowledged the "wrong directions", and they haven't been fixed after 1.5 years! What's up?!

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Fraud-phishing-and-spoof/USPS-unauthorized-charge-scam/m-p/13235...

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

DanceScientist
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to get a refund from USPS, and this is what I got. By the way, I had submitted the refund request on 5/28, and the package didn't process until 5/29. What excuse does USPS have, and why does Paypal not hold them responsible like other vendors? Paypal does not allow patrons to file disputes against USPS and, according to their own community forum, has been unresponsive to complaints for at least 1.5 years.

Hello George <>,

This email confirms that your shipping label cancellation and your refund request has been denied by the U.S. Postal Service® for the shipping label shown below because a package containing this shipping label was received by the U.S. Postal Service.

Ship To: nastaseja *removed*
*removed*
Tyumen
Russia

Login to Me Too

Dreamstalker
Contributor
Contributor

I got hit by this last night (my computer is clean, I changed all login-related info to be safe).  No incoming fund emails, just shipping labels.  The first drained my PP account and I was finally able--after about a day--to figure out where to email them about it. The next two went into my bank account and I'm waiting on affadavits from the bank.  Three of the charges went to a credit card; Chase actually called me while I was looking at the PP transactions, those pending transactions were blocked and I got a new card.

I'm not that optimistic about being able to recover what little was in my account although I did manage to alert them to the fraud (for all the good that might do), but I am wondering whether PP can close my account because "I went over their heads".  I can't afford to wade through the maze.  Paypal really needs to get on the ball regarding this shipping-label scam; why are they not allowing users to dispute these transactions, and why make it so difficult to find a way to do it?

Login to Me Too

Envisous
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,  the same has happened to me as well on 06/11/12.  i logged into my paypal account and someone had printed a shipping label to Russia for $120 Express Mail!  Of course,  the first thing I did was void the label,  since it was printed about 4 hours before.  i then called paypal and opened a dispute.  Well I went alot further than that.

I contacted the Usps Postal Inspectors,  gave them the tracking number and opened a case.  Then I contacted the FTC Identity Theft department and opened a case.  I then went to IC3.com and opened a case for wire fraud.  And finally I went to my local police station and filed a police report.

If you do not do all of this,  you may not get your money back.  I am glad that I did,  because after searching on Google,  I am not alone in this same scenerio.  One poor person was out $900 and had like 15 Express mail labels printed.  After doing more research I found out that the package was shipped from Memphis, TN.

Do you remember a story that Chris Hanson did from Dateline,  all about credit card fraud,  and how stupid people here in the U.S.A. accept stolen goods shipped to their house,  then emailed a shipping label to print and send out the packages they get.  And some of them got to keep stuff like laptops or dvd players?

Well I highly believe that that scam is still going on right now.  If I don't get my money back from Paypal, I will be suing.  This is something that should have been taking care of when I found the first post way back in April 2011.  Paypal needs to stop trying to police everything and let the real police in to investigate all the fraud.

Login to Me Too

Dreamstalker
Contributor
Contributor

Four of the shipments have entered the mailstream, and my void requests were denied. I have yet to hear back from anyone at Paypal regarding the fraud reports I filed.

One has tracking info that it was shipped from Florida (the system did 'helpfully' give me an option for a delivery notification via email, which I did using a throwaway email address...interesting to see where they end up or if they even leave the country, all packages seem to be touring the southeast now).   How was that allowed to happen?!  I don't know why we aren't allowed to file disputes against the USPS for shipping-label fraud, but that has to stop.  The good news is that the three that tried to hit my credit card did not actually process.

Some post offices only a few towns over from me won't accept packages if the return address isn't in their jurisdiction (or within a reasonable distance).  That should be SOP, it would probably stop a fair bit of this activity or at least make it more difficult.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.