Paypal horror story: $7,500 return to scammer lost in mail. What to do next?

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor

It's absolutely a horror story. About three months ago already, I purchased a collectible from a man in the UK for $7,450. When it arrived, I was pretty excited, but then immediately horrified when I saw that he had sent me an absolutely useless item in its place. So, obviously, I immediately took the steps to file a case. I also sent the seller an email. Surprise! No response.

[A little later, I also contacted the Northamptonshire police department, who filed a fraud report with Action Fraud on my behalf. Apparently, this same guy had sold this same item 3 other times. A scam running approximately $30,000.]

After I escalated the case, PayPal requested that I provide documentation that the item was not as described. I sent in photographs of how the items obviously differed. "Not acceptable evidence." So I had to drive all over the place to find a dealer (there wasn't a local one due to the uncommon nature of the collectible), and then wait for them to draft up a letter--a $30 valuation service.

I sent the letter in and finally PayPal allowed me to return the item. Imagine that. I provided documentation that the item I received was worthless, and was required to send it back to the UK for my $7,450 refund. I called PayPal and talked to a representative asking about the best way to ensure I would get my money back and whether or not I would have to insure the item. She assured me that because I provided documentation that the item was valueless, I would not have to insure the item.

I went to the post office and sent the package back via registered mail, paying around $30. I updated the case with the proper information on the 9th, and have been checking every single day, awaiting its return.

As I was checking, I saw a little note on the claim that said "PayPal will contact you if further information is required by June 17th." I thought this was odd, since that date had already passed (it was around the 20th by then). So I called and was assured that everything would by fine, and that the date would automatically update to around July 7th to be checked for delivery.

Today, at 9:37PM, I received an email from PayPal saying that they CLOSED my claim. To me, this seems completely boundless and unreasonable. I called PayPal, unbelievably frustrated and horrified, and was informed that NO MATTER WHAT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING IF THE MAIL COURIER TRUCK WERE TO EXPLODE WITH THE RETURN INSIDE, PayPal could not return my payment unless delivery receipt was confirmed.

I have filed an inquiry with USPS to track my registered mail. And now I am writing this, because I am at my wit's end. Please, for the love of God, tell me what I did wrong and what I can fix.

Login to Me Too
49 REPLIES 49

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor

Trust me, $7,500 is a large amount of money for me as well.. otherwise I wouldn't be complaining. I just don't understand why PayPal can't arbitrate with common sense.

Where did your 50-60 day rule come from? I have already filed an inquiry through USPS... but supposedly could take 22 days.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Alexe123 wrote:

Where did your 50-60 day rule come from? I have already filed an inquiry through USPS... but supposedly could take 22 days.

My 50-60 day rule is based on experience with shipping in general. 

Been selling records online since 2006 for my employer and then on my own since 2008. 

It always seem to arrive around that time frame, if not by 5 - 10 days via First Class Intl.  Any longer, it's safe to assume it's possibly lost and I file insurance claim (I ship everything going overseas insured.) and refund the buyer.   No PayPal dispute involved.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor
I think you are misunderstanding the situation I am in by your "no dispute" comment.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

No, I was just explaining my experience and my procedure with my customers.  Not refering to your case.  You asked me where I got the 50-60 day rule from.

How long has it been since you sent your return?

Login to Me Too

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor
Oh, my apologies. I've never shipped registered first class or international first class for that matter. Based on my phone call the day before I shipped it, I had no idea any of this could or would happen. I had already lost $50, plus the fee from the record store, so I didn't want to put down $50 for shipping. Unfortunately, in retrospect (like I said), I clearly would've done that. I shipped it on the 9th from Florida. It left NY on the 12th
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Okay, so it hasn't reached that 50 to 60 day mark yet, so there's a chance it can still show up.  Sometimes delays just happens making the packaging taking way longer than usual.  And PayPal is gonna wait, what? 10 or 20 days? for people to provide proof of delivery before putting the kibosh on the claim.  Sometimes that's just not enough time.

Delays can by caused low availability of flights to a destination, mis-routing, slow customs and postal performance, holidays, bad weather, worker strikes, and a barrage of other random reasons.  You just never know.  And I think that could be the case here.  Hopefully USPS can find out some information on where your package is.

Login to Me Too

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor
I certainly hope so. It certainly got here quicker, but I understand flights, etc. are a possibility. Thanks for the advice. Really, it's just irritating how completely useless PayPal buyer protection is in this situation.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Alexe123 wrote:
I certainly hope so. It certainly got here quicker, but I understand flights, etc. are a possibility. Thanks for the advice. Really, it's just irritating how completely useless PayPal buyer protection is in this situation.

You're welcome.  Yep, both the buyer and seller protection here leaves much to be desired in fact but that's how PayPal balance their rulings.

Well, my fingers are crossed for ya. 😉

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

One more thing, have you tried entering the 'customs label #' here: https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item

Use the customs label # (found on the customs label receipt or your postal receipt), not the 'registered mail #'.

Login to Me Too

Alexe123
Contributor
Contributor
I hadn't tried that before... I got this message: "Special Delivery Guaranteed™ items are first tracked when they have reached our mail centre. This may be late in the evening on the day the item was sent." Doesn't look good...
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.