PAYMENT REVIEW, SECURITY REVIEW, SELLER PROTECTION: CRAP, CRAP, CRAP

SpankyPuppy
Contributor
Contributor

I just sold a high end watch on eBay.  Seller sent me money ($1,325.00) but I have no access to the funds for at least 24 hours because of some BS Payment review.  I have a 100% eBay rating spanning over several years.  The buyer has called PayPal.  I have called PayPal.  We both got some very vague & unconvincing explanation about the funds being held for "random security review" and for "our protection" but no concrete or reasonable answer explaining why this is happening or why it takes PayPal 24 hours (one agent even said 24-48 hrs) to do this purported security check.  Don't even ask them to explain what method is used during this so-called "security review."  This has never happened to me before.  I have no confidence in PayPal and I am no more assured that the company is actually protecting the buyer or me than the man in the moon.  Without any hint from PayPal, I do know this:  whatever the real reason behind this "security protection review," I am 100% confident that I (and all customers) are getting screwed, used and/or abused by this corporate mongrol. 

If PayPal really had our interests at heart, they would clearly and unambiguously post their policy for all of us to review and understand (& I'm not talking about some deeply buried 45 page uninlaterally PayPal favored contract of adhesion six hyperlinks away, buried under small print tags).  If we're not getting screwed somehow, then the only other explanation is sheer & utter incompetence & ignorance.  In this day and age, it should take no more than 45 seconds to do a complete and thorough security check before releasing the funds. 

Between eBay's fees, PayPal's fees, this garbage & my utter disgust of corporations in general, this is the last time I will ever sell a high end item on eBay.  I should have used Craigs List where I am in complete control of the sale and receipt of funds.  Why should I pay PayPal & eBay almost $100 in fees to cblock my money and interfer with what otherwise could have been a painless and smooth transaction? 

Did I mention that PayPal was willing to release the funds immediately if I waived my rights to Seller Protection?  Yea, they're looking out for my best interest!

The more I think about it, I just may cancel the transaction all together & sell the watch on Craigs List tonight.  The minor inconvenience of meeting a potential buyer is outweighed by the almost $100 I'll save myself in fees that will otherwise go to PP & eBay...plus, the sheer delight in depriving them of those fees.  I won't screw the buyer over but if he agrees to let it go, then that's what I'll do.  If the buyer really wants the watch, then it will be my last high end sale for all the reasons I previously stated.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

biteme1
New Community Member

i do not understand what the hell is going on !!!!???????? this is my money my account !!!!

Login to Me Too

napa

Why not simply request to cancel the transaction through eBay and have the buyer agree?  Then, have the buyer send you a USPS money order, ship the watch when received and mark it paid in eBay.  If you agree to pay the $20 for overnight mail, you will actually have your money both faster and cheaper.  There is no rule that says you can't accept money orders, and the buyer still is protected by eBay Buyer Protection.  You don't need any "protection" (Nonexistant, anyway) from PayPal, because you have the cash.  The greedy gestapo partnership of eBay and PayPal has come up with enough ways to screw people that it will surely be their undoing.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.