Is PayPal Seller Protection really protect Sellers?

lzuda20
Contributor
Contributor

I have being doing business (both selling and buying) on eBay and PayPal since 1997. It used to be a very powerful platform for small business to grow and also for buyer to find something they need and want. I didn't have anything to complaint before because I do all my best to satisfied my customers when I am a seller. Be faithful and understandable to seller when something went wrong with my transaction when I am a buyer.

But, something change my mind recently. I have 2 unauthorized charge back within 60 days period and this has made me not to be so active on selling on eBay. 

I am an eBay Top-Rated Seller and also Power Seller since 2010. I follow all eBay's guide line for listing my items. This included but not limited to the recent changes of promise to ship within 1 business day and 14-days money back guarantee. I follow all eBay wants their sellers to do. (To attract more buyers to eBay platform, of course.) On the PayPal side, I only ship to any buyer that has "confirmed" address and also "verified" payment. No to mention that I only ship to any payment come through PayPal and marked with "Eligible for Seller Protection". 

Late Feb, a customer filed a charged back for unauthorized payment, I submitted the tracking info and shows that the person who made the transaction did sign the package himself. The order detail from eBay transaction and PayPal payment record were the same. 30 days later, PayPal refund the money to my account. Ok, Seller Protection did work for this one.

Last evening, another unauthorized charged back filed! PayPal notified me via email at 5:34pm and 5:37pm for me to respond. I came home about 7:30pm and saw the email. Login to PayPal and summit all the necessary info such as tracking number and carrier. The transaction happened on Sunday night (4/29) and I shipped the package on Monday morning (5/1). Yes, I did ship the package with "Direct Signature Required" and also "Insured" the package to its full value. (Item value over $250). I also called FedEx ground to stop the delivery. (ETA to customer on 5/2). 

This morning (5/2), I called FedEx again to verify if the package has been stop and re-route back to me. Unfortunately, the personnel at FedEx destination station didn't see the message until 9AM and the driver already dispatched and delivered the package before he got the message.  The FedEx station is only about 3 miles away to the delivery address. The 4th FedEx rep who I spoke with this morning did indeed apologized to me that there are 2 messages on their system to instructed the driver not to deliver the package, but someone at their destination station didn't route the message. Well..... What can I said? The person signed and got the package already. 

For PayPal, I also understand that they can't do anything while in "investigation" process period. But, I am not happy for the action that they withdrew the money right away from my account and cause the negative balance. I follow all your rules -- 1-day shipping from eBay as a Top-Rated seller, Confirmed address with verified payment and eligible for Seller Protection. And whenever buy file an unauthorized payment, you remove the fund from sellers right away. It always take 2 ~3 business days when I transfer money from PayPal to my bank account. But you took money right away after this kind of matter. Fair? 

Frankly speaking, the eBay business is only about 20% of my business. We can verify the credit card transaction via our own merchant account to prevent any fraud transaction. Running small amount and ask buyer to verify with us. However, PayPal is acting a "Gate Keeper" for their sellers but is not very helpful when fraud transaction happen. The only thing at the end is the "Seller Protection" and it will take 30 days to see the result. 

I didn't complain or post any thing to complain PayPal all these years. I am a person who will just leave quietly if I am total disappointment on you. Once I left, I don't care if you will become more successful in the future or not. My other friends and partners are not selling on eBay or use PayPal at all. PayPal doesn't care, their upper managers don't care. When sellers want to sell something, they will use eBay and the buyers who want to buy something cheap or hard to find item, they will come to eBay as well. 

Well, I am just posting some thoughts that I have on my mind after my 2nd charge back from PayPal. Seller's Protection? Maybe ..... but need 30 days to find out. It is just make me lost my faith to eBay and PayPal when I try all my best to follow their guideline and they just took money on buyer's word. I am not a new seller!!! Should I have enough credit for you to feel that I didn't do anything wrong with my 100% feedback rating and well documented records? Why these become nothing to PayPal when buyer file a dispute and you hold money for 30 days? I really doubt that those upper managers in PayPal are really smart enough to perform their jobs.  

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.