Hack; Then Funds Reversal AFTER transaction incorrectly marked "COMPLETED"

Posting this knowing that I will hear what happened to me is common, been refferred to as an epidemic even and that seller protection does nothing for electronic goods.After using Paypal for the first time and being scammed out of money I've read plenty of similar disheartening stories. The basic scam goes as such: 1) Seller posts wish to sell electronic goods often on 3rd party sites as craigslist/ebay;2) potential buyer[later truely revealed as paypal acct. hacker] replies and pays for the electronic goods AND receives said goods;3)True Paypal acct. owner is notified of suspicious activity and cancels/reverses transaction AFTER {For me was within 48hrs}transaction of fund has been incorrectly marked "COMPLETED" this leaves the innocent seller misinformed into the notion that they have received those funds for the transaction.EVERY indication on acct summary shows that it's completed at this time after all.The true value of any currency is that you can buy otherwise unrelated things with it, the really neat thing about your Paypal funds is they can be taken from you AFTER you have been told the funds are yours even if you have spent some/all of it.So many people's disputed cases would be avoided if only Paypal wouldn't misinform their customers by telling them they have funds when in truth the buyer can still take it back.Implementation of a transaction pending period(should be equal to the amount of time the buyer has to cancel/reverse unless authorized thereby forefeiting the ability to reverse) whilest it is being authorized through phone calls/SMS/security questions ANY NUMBER OF THINGS that even GD video games use to protect fake pixelated currency that PP doesn't use for real world currency...IT'S DISGUSTINGLY simple, so much so that one assumes something such as this does indeed take place before a company as large/trusted as paypal marks transactions with a COMPLETELY FALSE "COMPLETED" status. My mistake was assuming Paypal did this AND that COMPLETED was more of a finite term generally understood in ALL other instances I've encountered before this to mean final,leading to changes that cannot be reversed as the events have already taken place.I had ultimately misplaced my trust with/in Paypal, in which it temporarily(at least for the moment) no longer resides as my dispute claim is still open. Here's to the hope of rectification/resolution and big corporate assuming their share of the responsibility. Most recent phone CSR stated Paypal doesn't bother auth/verifying in such a manner b/c it would take too long.Take too long to make a real transaction, instead they would rather guess at the auth of it and lie to the user stamp COMPLETE in hopes the user unknowingly holds faith in that statement of completion and spends money which would not be spent had it been correctly stamped as pending, ultimately making paypal lose out on those "extra" transactions...assuming paypal gets imbursement for these transactions in some way or another.I assume they do take a fee.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.