E-mail scam! Check the URL before logging in!

TioZoso
Contributor
Contributor

If you get some e-mail from Paypal saying that your account is limited and needs your help resolving an issue, before you log in, check to make sure it says "paypal" in the URL and NOT "payparl!" The page may look legit, but if it has that in the URL, then DO NOT LOG IN!!!! Nice try scammers! You'll have to do a whole **bleep** of a lot better if you're gonna fool me!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

MK_Slinky
Contributor
Contributor

The thing to look out for with these kind of phishing emails is that legitimate emails from PayPal will always address you by the name used on your account. Scam/phishing emails on the other hand don't include your name! The scammers send them to random addresses in the hope that some recipients will be PayPal users and will ultimately fall for the scam. Also check which email account the scam email is received into , personally I only get scam emails in an account not registered with PayPal making them easy to spot.

Paypal recommends that you send any suspicious emails to spoof@paypal.com , though some email programs such as Windows Live mail seem to prevent sending them for some reason. If that happens to you simply delete the email.

Login to Me Too

TioZoso
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah fortunately I already found that info when I was already looking to contact them and have already done so. Wasted no time!

Login to Me Too

MK_Slinky
Contributor
Contributor

@TioZoso

Great job! Nice to see fellow PayPal users getting revenge on these despicable scammers! I wish I could send my fake emails to PayPal but my email client doesn't permit me doing so, I think it's either something to do with Windows Live Mail or Windows 10 as it blocks me sending the message and highlights it as suspicious. I find it odd that it doesn't block me receiving these kind of messages though! 😞

Login to Me Too

bemo64
Contributor
Contributor

Another way to keep safe 9s to log into PP through another tab on your browser and not from the suspicious email then enter the URL correctly from there

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.