Business Paypal Debit Mastercard Back up Funding Limit

alo
Contributor
Contributor

You used to be able to go to the summary screen for the Debit Mastercard and you could see how much you had availale of your back up limit, change your back up limit in increments of $200 up to $1000, etc. Now there is no mention of my back up limit and no options to change it. Why?

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

PayPal_Olivia

Hi alo,

The feature you describe was disabled. Now the limit is pre-set at $3000 spending and $400 ATM.

- Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

embers
Contributor
Contributor

This is a very vexing change, mainly because of the inconsistency of the new automatic system. Declining transactions for various amounts has become a daily headache. I have almost stopped using the card. Please send my complaint along the proper channels to get the system re-assessed. The card is almost unusable. 

Case in point: declined $9 this morning for breakfast in the airport. I have 4 pending transactions for less than $200 total. I have 3 transactions which are funding from my backup account today (bank shows the draft, PayPal shows complete, but the funds are still actually processing in as the backup funding). Calling and asking them to put a flag on the account can clear the card to work for the day, but there is a lot less transparency and account-holder control now.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for any confusion on this one.  We have not disabled the PayPal Debit Business MasterCard back up funding process - it sounds like this is tied in to the new version of the website. 

If you're having problems viewing this because of the new website design, after you log in, use this link:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-debit-card

Keep in mind you must have a personal debit/credit card on file if you wish to use a bank account as your back up funding source.

Thanks everyone!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

embers
Contributor
Contributor

We are not having problems adding or managing the backup funding source itself, but rather, managing user-defined limits for the backup funding source.

We previously had control over how much was allowed to be "backed up" -- $200, $400, $600, $800, or $1000. Now, the daily limit of the debit card ($3000) is the theoretical backup limit, with no option for the end user to set a different backup funding limit. See the help page here, which is now inaccurate: Help with Backup Funding

Additionally, this change has coincided with the new way that the card is queried about a potential transaction. Before, we could use the card up to the backup limit we set, at which point in time more funds had to be added manually, or the PayPal customer had to wait until the automatic backup funding drafts cleared from our bank.

Now, the automatic system can decide to approve or decline a transaction based on any number of random factors which are not being clearly defined for the customer service agents, nor to us PayPal customers. Previously, if I had less than $200 in charges pending with my PayPal debit card and also had a $0 PayPal balance, I would have had the remainder of the backup funding limit (whatever I had set as my backup "cap" minus the pending charges of less than $200) available for additional transactions.

Beginning about a month ago, even with less than $200 in charges pending, there is a good chance the card will be declined for an additional transaction, for no discernible reason. Even the customer service agents do not know why the card was declined, and can manually override the account with a flag which clears the card for use, but only for that day.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi embers,

Yes Smiley Happy

Use the link above, then go to Profile > My money > Update > Change.  Smiley Happy

Give it a shot and let us know!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

embers
Contributor
Contributor

Adrian,

I appreciate your responses. I wish the option myself and the original poster are requesting was still available.

If I go through the link you specified, then click "Update" next to the MasterCard Debit Card, then click "Change", I am presented with the option to use one of my bank or debit cards on file, or to "Apply for the PayPal Extras MasterCard®. Your line of credit will be used as the backup", or "No backup payment method".

With your link, there is still no option, even if I reselect my bank account, to set a "cap" or limit on the bank account / back up funding limit between $200-$1000 like there was before.

~Matt

(embers)

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi embers,

Sure thing, you and I want the same thing, a solution Smiley Happy

The link seems to work just fine for me, although I've had my debit card for close to ten years now. It's possible my older account may have slipped in under some sort of unusual grandfather clause.  I'll check into it and if I turn up anything different, I'll update the thread. Smiley Happy

- Adrian

Login to Me Too

embers
Contributor
Contributor

I have also had my card for almost 10 years - you may have me beat by a year or two.

I look forward to anything you can find out, or if there is a way to "roll back" my account to the previous set up. I don't want the new $3,000 limit system for me personally. PM sent in case you need help figuring out anything.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.