Billmelater Scam

RoyallyTicked

My last purchase through PayPal was directed to a BillMeLater account, which I DID NOT AUTHORIZE, and DID NOT WANT.  The main reason I have PayPal is so that the billing would go directly to my credit card which is protected from fraud, and I can pay with the next billing without being charged interest.  When I contacted BillMeLater about the account and charge, they insisted on drawing directly out of my checking account in order to pay the bill  and close the account which I didn't authorize to begin with, or start charging me interest. Redirecting the charge to the credit card that I have on file with PayPal was not an option. I feel VERY uncomfortable in giving anyone direct access to my checking account. BillMeLater is a SCAM!!!!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

BikeCommuter
New Community Member

Yes it is a scam! I had the same experience.

Login to Me Too

WhatAPain
Contributor
Contributor

I agree. PayPal and BillMeLater is such a scam. PayPal forces you into taking the card if you want to be verified to remove spending limits or give them your back account info (never going to happen). Then when you choose to have a different CC as your primary choice Paypal still defaults your purchase to BillMeLater first, and there is no way to change it even though you have selected a CC as your default. So they now force you to take extra time by having to go in and change payment option and select your default CC. So when your in a rush to pay you end up getting a random bill wondering where the charge came from, which then causes you to have to research what was bought.

Login to Me Too

nsoma75
Contributor
Contributor

I also got scammed by PayPal for my last purchase. When I tried to buy an item worth of $900, Paypal did not take my discover credit card. I used discover credit card to get 10% cashback. I called Discover to find out what was happening. Discover confirmed there were no issues. I called Paypal to enquire what the problem is with my credit card. Paypal rep. said the credit card did not go through as a fraud prevention step. She told me I needed to verify identity by linking my bank account, which would have taken couple of days. I did not have time to wait, since the item was on sale in ebay. She suggested I could use Paypal's verification system, which was through Billme later. I said I am not interested in a new credit card or credit line. She said this is not a credit card (Stupid me), but just a verification process. I entered my social security number and all other <<removed>>. After the verification process was over, I purchased the item using my credit card. I was happy that I was going to get 10% of ($90) for my purchase. Fifteen days later, I checked my discover card statement, and came to know my card was not charged for my purchase. I wondered what happened. I logged on to the paypal account to see what happened to my transaction. I noticed BillmeLater linked to Paypal account and had a statement waiting for $900. I called Paypal and went through so many representatives. They were all arrogant, and treated me like I am stupid. I have not heard about BillmeLater before this incident. I am going to stay away from ebay and Paypal. Paypal, you **bleep**!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.