what are my options

sean_T
Contributor
Contributor

I received a forwarded letter from an old address stating my old account is inactive and paypal will be charging me unless I login and remove the account.

Now here's the issue, the email address that was used for the account no longer exists and although I can login I'm being asked to verify via telephone call which I cannot do as I no longer live at the address the phone line was at.

I've so far attempted to contact via the chat system which directed me to phone in. When phoning in the robot says that my request cannot be sorted on the phone to try the chat helpdesk. Asking again on the helpdesk I'm told that emailing with proof of ownership will resolve the issue.

Emailing paypal has been one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. I get one of three responses;

• They cannot help me as I'm not emailing from the same account email (The one that doesn't exist)
  • They tell me to change the phone number via the settings page (I can't do this because I'm asked to verify by a phone number I no longer have access to)
  • And finally a suspected canned response telling me how to reset my password or try clearing browser cache (Irrelevant to my problem).

So far I think I'm upto 20-something emails with no resolution in sight.

One of the times I contacted the chat helpdesk on my roundabout trip of contact methods, an agent said that I should email proof such as drivers license, past bill (I managed to find a payslip from 11 years ago that has my old address) whenever I've attempted this I'm told one of the above responses.

So, what are my options? Am I just stuck being charged for the privilege of having an inactive account I can do nothing about?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sean_T 

Contact options for Paypal at the moment are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

seanirl
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, so I tried the chat system again as at least then I would get a response.

May have been lucky as this agent was able to help be then and there, they verified my information, shutdown the account and helped me transfer any remaining balance to my other account.

Not sure why I was originally passed off to phone/email but may have just been potluck to who you get to chat to.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.