userid hijacked my somebody in china

loveoldtrux
Contributor
Contributor

My 20 year amazon account and eBay account were recently hijacked by somebody in china.  Need to keep my paypal from being hijacked in the future!!

If I turn on 2 factor authentication, if a bozo attempts to either change my paypal password or get into my paypal account the way I understand it is 2 factor authentication is suppossed to text my phone and if it's not legit the password CAN'T be changed right?

I suspect the way the ***** got my ID was from facebook where I was using my name as user id and then simply walking over to amazon and selecting "forgot password" and he was then sent the password and then he changed the username / email of the account and stole it.  Since then I have changed my facebook name to something he won't be able to imagine.  With 2 factor, I shouldn't really have to change the name in Paypal?  I will choose a stronger password to my Paypal in just a moment also.

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@loveoldtrux 

PayPal accounts are identified by the email address(es) registered. Was email address(es) compromised?

Yes, with the 2FA, every time you sign in, you will be prompted to enter an authentication code after your password and code is sent to your phone.

As shown on the PayPal 2-Step verification setting:

"Add an extra layer of security to your account by using a one-time security code in addition to your password each time you log in."

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@loveoldtrux 

PayPal accounts are identified by the email address(es) registered. Was email address(es) compromised?

Yes, with the 2FA, every time you sign in, you will be prompted to enter an authentication code after your password and code is sent to your phone.

As shown on the PayPal 2-Step verification setting:

"Add an extra layer of security to your account by using a one-time security code in addition to your password each time you log in."

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

loveoldtrux
Contributor
Contributor

Sharpiemarker,

Thanks for the clarification.  I don't believe my email was comprimised; haven't had any notices about it and it works okay although I DID go to my email provider yesterday and immediately changed the password to make it MUCH stronger (I had fallen into that habit of using the same password for all accounts - I'm changing them ALL now!); my provider does not offer authentication though.  Maybe things will get better now as this really takes a lot of time to clear up.  Again --- thanks for the reply

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.