"Quick Security Check" has completely removed any ability of me using paypal for online purchases

InfuratedUser
Contributor
Contributor

I have  my phone number on my account. It has been on my account since I fixed it last month and spent about 3 days with support figuring it out. I can now log in to my paypal with no issues. IT uses this phone number every single time I log in as two-step verifaction, with no issues whatsover. So it stands to reason that this phone number is verified as mine, since I've used it as verification upward of a hundred times now, right? Nope, completely wrong according to PayPal!

I am able to cash out to my bank without issue. I can send money with no issue. I cannot make an online payment. When I am taken to paypal checkout, I log in just like normal. It asks for my two-step, I input the code that it texts me, and it accepts it. Queue loading screen, and then... QUICK SECURITY CHECK: ADD A PHONE NUMBER TO VERIFY!

This is absolutely infuriating. This is the same issue that stopped my from using my account before. Now that I have resolved that issue, and have been using my account with my phone number attached to it for a month now, suddenly this is happening again. Paypal, REMOVE QUICK SECURITY CHECK. It is an absolutely useless way to verify someones name. 50% of the world has a shared plan, so how in the **bleep** does the account holders name on a phone number have ANYTHING to do with verifying my identity? And why am I being asked to "add a phone number" immediately after you have literally texted me a security code and accepted it?

I'm at my wits end. Thanks for the free money sending service PayPal, but whoever designed this security measure needs to be fired and never allowed to work on any digital security team ever again. How you managed this far is beyond me.

Here are some exceedingly clear screenshots of the process.

My two step verification: <removed>

The multiple texts I have recieved from paypal just in the last day while signing in successfully: <removed>

The useless security check that some idiot who doesn't know how phone accounts work thought was a good idea: <removed>

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

InfuratedUser
Contributor
Contributor

One more screenshot for anyone lucky enough to not be facing this absolutely insane form of verification: http://imgur.com/a/M8aR5

Login to Me Too

InfuratedUser
Contributor
Contributor

Wow not even an automated response telling me to check your default solutions? Glad to see how much you care about your users paypal. I was hoping to wait a while before switching to bitcoin but you're very easily speeding up the process.

Login to Me Too

Temp20210918b

Yeah I have had this issue going on a week now with a confirmed and registered (to me) ATT number. Also tried home phone (also registered) with the same error. (Only while trying to withdraw funds as a check, or into my bank account) Been through their customer service numbers 3 times and they still don't understand the issue. Sent them 2 emails clearly detailing the issue, and I recieved a response on how to change contact info. smh. I really wonder who or what is running this company.

After some digging I found it to most likely be a J.S. error in their website linked to the confirm phone number button @ line 72
<removed>

A quick search shows this is also a common bug in most cisco secure systems aswell. At this rate I'm surprised they haven't been compromised.

If they weren't holding a large some of my money hostage right now I would probably do the same change.

Login to Me Too

vjpascasio
Contributor
Contributor

I DEFINITELY AGREE TO THIS. SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME. THIS IS **bleep** USELESS!!

Login to Me Too

Darthbrad
New Community Member
I’m having the same problem too, and they can’t seem to help me. They keep saying that my account is good, but the problem still exists. They just keep telling me to keep trying or add a number that is registered under my name. I’m on a family plan, what other number would I have?
Login to Me Too

TODDY53
Contributor
Contributor

I also have the same problem. I think that Paypal is stealing our money. I have already lost $ 6098 from this problem

Login to Me Too

jonj198
Contributor
Contributor

Same here cant get into my old account that had $312 bucks in it due to this issue and paypal customer support wont help at all. They dont care, they get to steal free money from us. Absolute thieves.

Login to Me Too

IWillKillPourPa
Contributor
Contributor
I lost **bleep**ing over 2,000 dealing with PayPal. They limited my account & transferred every dime off my account then **bleep**ing un limited the account after they stole my **bleep**
Login to Me Too

nickberden
New Community Member

Im honestly about to just stop using **bleep**ing pay pal because they must be trying to be extra and useless. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.