name with aliases

Rabaie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, my name is Rabaie,

I am in the process of updating my name in my Paypal account but I prefer to as for opinions in this group on this particular problem first.

See, it is normal for people in Malaysia to have aliases in their names.

The problem is the character used to write aliases in our national identity card is a rounded @ which in the internet is widely accepted as "at" such as youremail@whatever dot com. Now to fill in the form in Paypal in order to update my name, which now has an alias for my father's name (in Malaysia most Malaysians use their father's first name as their last names which is different from people of western cultures), is it doable? Can I type @ in the form? 

I am not willing to do it yet for fear of making mistakes which will create problems later upon submission. Thus, the reason for me asking here.

This is because most online forms will not accept an @ to be typed in the electronic forms as I have done in many sites.

Another problem is I need to provide a copy of my identity card (which is our national registration card) which is ok. But the system wants me to provide another document which is either a marriage certificate, a divorce certificate or a deed toll (what is it?). Is it sufficient for me to just submit the identity card document?

Thanks for your help.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Rabaie,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the PayPal Community! With PayPal, we do need your legal name on file for security reasons. We definitely understand local customs and we may be able to add aliases in the future, unfortunately we do not have the option to add and operate under an alias at this time. 

In regard to updating your information, I would recommend reaching out to our Customer Support over the phone to explain the details of your name change to see what kind of documentation we may be able to accept in this situation. 

Good luck!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.