name change of paypal

viking1978
Contributor
Contributor

I was recently frustrated by name change of pay pal account. 

When I signed up, I did not use my legal name. While I was trying to change it, I even cannot choose the right option. 

If I chose 

"Change Legal Name"
->Personal name change (incorrect at sign up or minor name change)
->Is this a minor typographical change? (for example, changing Smiith to Smith): No
goes back to account  Profile page. Nothing happened.

So I had to choose the following option to raise the request:
"Change Legal Name"
->Personal name change (marriage, divorce, legal) -> then document upload option will appear. 
> then document upload option will appear. 

While pay pal responded that they did not receive the document and they could not change my name. 

Today, I called pay pal and the customer service answered HQ will review my document and provide the feedback.  

Is there another alternative way to change the name? 

Currently, my account is locked and I have around 1K fund is in on-hold status.  So Close and re-open might not be an option. 
BTW: Pay pal locked my account to ask me to validate my address. I uploaded my water bill and driving license. while the name on bill and driving license does not match my account name in pay pal.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@viking1978

If the document you sent in does not show your 'legal name' as per what is on your paypal account then its unlikely you will ever be able to verify it.

The person that owns the account is the one named on that account so you have to prove you have that name OR its been changed to that name legally ie marriage etc.

If its not a minor typo then you may be out of luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

viking1978
Contributor
Contributor

thanks. The confusion part is I have already submitted my driving license which clearly shows my legal name. 

I also update the passport information.

While paypal still keeps rejecting my name change request.

I am so frustrated.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@viking1978

The documents you are uploading show your legal name but do not show that you are / were the name on that paypal account.

So unless it was a minor typo in the name on the paypal account OR you can provide legal proof that the name on your paypal account was legally changed to the one on the documents you are uploading then you won't be able to 'verify' that you are the person named on that paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.