how do i share my nonprimary email address with vendors when i pay through paypal?

jennifer62
New Community Member

I'm having an issue with paying through paypal that may turn out to be a dealbreaker. I'm trying to clean up my email inboxes and separate my primary inbox (a@gmail.com), which I use for things like managing my financial accounts, insurance, etc. from the account that I give out for mailing lists for shopping and news (b@gmail.com). So I want Paypal to send info about my Paypal account to a@gmail account, but when I buy shoes, I would give them b@ gmail, etc. When I make a purchase through Paypal though, even when I give the vendor the b@gmail address to use as the way to contact me, Paypal shares with them a@gmail, so I guess because of some kind of data handshake the vendor defaults to the Paypal data instead of what I give them and then uses the wrong email address to send all its mailing lists, coupons, etc. At this point, it's making a mess of my inbox, and if there isn't a workaround for it, I will have to stop using Paypal to make payments altogether.  I know it's not entirely a Paypal problem, but it is the common thread in every problem I've had, so I don't think I can influence each vendor. 

So my question - is there a way to have specific options at an email address level - selecting what information you want Paypal to share with others or to use for specific kinds of purposes? As in... I want Paypal to use a@gmail.com for managing my account, and b@gmail.com for processing payments to vendors?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jennifer62 

Which email address do you log in to pay? If you log in through your "b" email address, that email address will be given to the vendor and will be on the payment details. If you always log in with your primary email address, I believe that will be on the payment and given the merchant instead. I suggest to log in with your "b" (the password would be the same for all added email address to the account) to pay. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.