how do I change my country on Paypal?

Samanthacoo
New Community Member

I emigrated to New Zealand over 2 years ago and have changed my address in Paypal. however I can't remove UK from my address and have to clarify every time I buy something that postage is to NZ and not to just print the address off PayPal. Any ideas??

Login to Me Too
153 REPLIES 153

EstherShanti

I'm in a similar situation

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EstherShanti 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / and bank accounts from within that country.

You are supposed to withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts before you leave your old country. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved.

The only exception is U.S expats can add their bank accounts to other countries paypal accounts (paypal is a U.S company so they allow their citizens to do this).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

canofrockstar
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure of the accuracy of this because I created my PayPal account in the US and have been a US national since before creating the account and for the life of me cant remember ever entering my country of birth when creating my account some 10 years ago. Also my address is in the US. So, for the first time ever I happened to look at my profile and the nationality on there is my country of birth of which I am not a national of. Weird.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@canofrockstar 

Its accurate, i have helped on here for 15 years and seen the number of folks having problems trying to use another countries account.

Also if you click to register one of the first things you do is scroll down and select the country you reside in.

Read the link if you don't believe me.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/can-i-change-my-paypal-address-to-another-country-faq143...

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

canofrockstar
Contributor
Contributor

I understand and I'm trying to believe you but the fact remains that I set my account up in the US, with a US address and as a US national. However, my PayPal account has my nationality listed as something else. This fact is inconsistent with what is being said about nationality in regards to PayPal accounts.

Login to Me Too

Erica80

There is no 'cancel account' option on my paypal. The only option near 'account type' is Upgrade. I have moved from the UK to the US and need to have a US account but it is not giving me any option to change countries. Nor is it giving me the option to cancel my account. This is very frustrating!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Here’s how to close your old PayPal account:

1. Go to www.paypal.co.uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click ‘Profile’ near the top of the page.
  3. Select ‘My account settings’.
  4. In the ‘Account Type’ section, click ‘Close account’ and follow the instructions. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

LouisKeating
Contributor
Contributor

This problem has been annoying me for months after moving from the UK to Australia, then I finally found a workaround. 

If you have a Gmail account (it might work for other email providers as well) and the first part of your email address is dvided by a dot, then you can remove the dot and the email is still valid e.g. firstname.lastname(at)gmail.com works the same as firstnamelastname(at)gmail.com (note - I can't use the @ symbol here due to restrictions with posting).

Therefore you can sign up to Paypal with a "different" email address and still get all the emails to your account.

It's worth sending a test email to yourself to make sure it works.

Hope this helps!

Login to Me Too

awjet
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Louise, I like that. Yahoo offers a similar workaround. If your address is myname [at] yahoo.com, you can setup an alternate address using a dot, eg extra.myname [at] yahoo.com, which points to the same inbox.

Login to Me Too

HashKhn
Contributor
Contributor

Dear all,

Is it possible that I can use two paypal accounts at a time and link my same bank account which I used with my first paypal acount? Because I cannot receive and transfer money using this paypal accout due to technical issues with the email I used with this account.

Can anybody tell that me is it possible to do so??

Regards,

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.