Wrong country

maestro71
New Community Member

Apparently the Paypal system thinks I'm in Algeria, but I'm in the United States.  How do I change this? Right now I can't update my bank account or phone numbers.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@maestro71 wrote:

Apparently the Paypal system thinks I'm in Algeria, but I'm in the United States.  How do I change this? Right now I can't update my bank account or phone numbers.

Because you opened an Algeria PayPal account, not surprising because the country list dropdown is in alphabetical order when you sign up. Remove your cards, bank accounts, cash in balance, if any, and close the account and open a US account. Be sure you select the right country from the country list.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

myerak
New Community Member

I am having this same problem!  It automatically inputted Algeria.  My address is located in the U.S.  It is not allowing me to link my bank account.  How do we fix this?  I can't seem to get any help from Paypal.  Thanks!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@myerak

You fix it by opening a paypal account in your own country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

HarlemShuffleRe
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal does select by default the wrong country in some instances (I have screenshots to prove it) which leads to countries not matching the other info including address and bank cards. Incredibly Paypal does not check for mismatches at start, it odes not do it until a certain amount of money is reached then declare you a fraudster, block your account and instruct you to remove all financial info, bank cards etc to open a new account. But in fact one cannot remove the card information. It tried several times and every time I get "Due to technical difficulties... cannot... try again later" . It looks like it is designed to prevent you to open a new account!

It is of course totally wrong and terribly unfair . The worse is that people need a Paypal account to access key services over the internet. I need a functioning Paypal ASAP.  So I logged  formal complaints on the Paypal system but no reply.  It no reply by tomorrow, I will formally report the case to Better Business Bureau and other business authorities as I have no intention to let go. Again I Must have a  working Paypal account ASAP so no choice.

Regards,

Jack

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.