Why did I get the message to create a new password?

angelomichel
Contributor
Contributor

Just shy of an hour ago I tried logging into my paypal account via the official website. It succeeded but before continueing I got a prompt (message) and I had to change my password (even while I didn't request that feature).

The message stated roughly something like "we have detected unusual activitiy on your account and need your help to better secure your account. Create a new strong password..".

To me this comes across as an issue on Paypals side. Like, a security breach. If that was the case, this statement totally would make sense (they would have to set up a new environment and render the old password as comprimised). 

However.. I cannot seem to find any publication (public message stating that Paypal has taken these measurements for a reason). Therefor I post my question here: can anyone confirm my guestimation? Is there something else going on?

( ps. I've also asked for other people to log in and they also had an issue logging in, further confirming what I think is going on, but still not answer from paypal themselves, not even a mail explaining that this is needed ).

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@angelomichel 

Are you using an IP address or vpn that PayPal doesn't recognize you by? Or logging in while traveling abroad with your device. It may ask you to create a new password if the system somehow does not recognize you for security. Maybe you use a different device or browser than before?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

angelomichel
Contributor
Contributor

No nothing of that kind. 

The issue seems to be unrelated to our pc's. 

These people came from the Netherlands and Sweden. All same story, all different accounts, all via their home connection internet. 

ps. no other browser, no other internet connection, this afternoon account has even been used without any issues. The message was in dutch, but it was just incorrect. 

It stated:

We hebben ongebruikelijke activiteit op uw rekening geconstateerd en hebben uw hulp nodig om uw rekening beter te beveiligen. Maak een nieuw wachtwoord dat uniek is voor deze rekening.

Translated the first line says:  we have detected unusual activity on your account and we need your help to better secure your account.

While chaning password is not an every day request to ask a customer, therefor I am wondering what the real reason was (doubt it was really ususal activity, also I doubt it had anything to do with my pc at all). 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.