Why am I being asked to create a business account?

EAnneMcD
Contributor
Contributor

Recently I sold a small item on ebay. The payment for the item + s&h was a little over $10. I got an email from paypal saying I'd gotten a new payment from the buyer and "To claim your payment, you'll need to sign up for a PayPal Business account. It's fast and easy, and there are no set-up or monthly fees – only low transaction fees."

Ok, fine. So I go to do that and it's asking me for the legal name of my business. I don't have a business. I don't want to BS the name of a business. If ebay wants me to pay a transaction fee, fine, whatever. But why do I have to pretend to be a business?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey @EAnneMcD,

Great question, I definitely understand your concern. If you don't have a business, you can simply put your name in as the business name. This will be what shows when you send or receive transactions. Hopefully this helps!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

EAnneMcD
Contributor
Contributor
Ok, I can put my name in the business name section. But that doesn't answer my question: Why? Don't businessess get charged a fee? I don't own a business. What's wrong with just using my personal account? I dont need or want 2 accounts, & I dont want to upgrade to a business account.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.