Why all the sudden document demands?

litninrod
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal my name, address, phone number, email address, bank account number,
credit card number, and social security number. You're linked to my Ebay account,
my Amazon account, and whenever I make an online transaction that gives me a Paypal option,
I use that. I average about 9 Paypal transactions per month, and according to my profile,
have been a Paypal user since 2000. Given all that, after 19 years of use, NOW you
aren't sure who I am and need a bunch of documents?!?!?!?

You want a photo ID? You're an ONLINE payment system! Are you going to Skype me
every time I make a transaction to see if I look like the guy in the ID?

You want an address verification? All my Paypal transactions are online, direct transfers to
and from my bank. You never send anything to my home. Why do you even care what my address is?

As long as the money is in my bank, what does it matter if I live in my car or on a beach?

For SSN you want a document dated in the last year. Options are a pay stub, a Social Security card
or a 3rd party tax return. My pay stub does not list mt SSN, a Social Security card is not dated
so fails to meet your date within the last year criteria, and I do my own taxes, so no 3rd party
return is available.

I see no reason PayPal would need any of this

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
6 REPLIES 6

litninrod
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass Thanks for the link to the policy. It would have been nice if Paypal had sent me that same info before requesting all this stuff.

And it's STILL ridiculous to ask for a photo ID for an online system that never see's my face. And that they have more information on me than the government but question my identity after 19 years of using their service. 

Login to Me Too

nrg108
New Community Member
Wow in order to keep Ebay funds on their site now they want Photo ID bank statement tax return SSN and proof of residence. I've had less documents from a Bank loan. Big brother is controlling us all.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nrg108 

Depends what country you are in, they do not always want that information OR all of it (country dependent).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

BakedBeans
New Community Member

Probably not sinister as you think. I think it is more for reasons like debt collectors! Maybe debt collectors are refusing to take/buy debts as getting people who owe money is getting more difficult because they can't really prove that this really is the person who owns the debt.

Sign up with all this extra id, especially photo id then its done! No arguing, you own the debt.

Login to Me Too

litninrod
Contributor
Contributor

How do I turn off this question so I don't get emails about a question that was solved 2 years ago?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.