Verify Business Address; PO Box only

FranzKafka101
Contributor
Contributor

All of a sudden I'm required to prove my business address, which has been on file over a year.  However the CIP guidelines require that proof of business address NOT be a PO Box.  For security reasons, ALL communication with my company is through the PO Box, not my personal physical address.  There are literally no documents that exactly meet the requirements.  As a result Paypal refuses to transfer funds from a recent job.  

Each time the helpful customer service person promises to pass the information through, each time we get a stone cold email back saying "PO Boxes are not acceptable".  We're going onto round 4.  

I was even provided with a email address for the "back office" to attempt to communicate with a human, but that was rejected as well.  The instructions in the rejection email are, essentially, just go in your account and provide us the documents we asked for.  That don't exist.  

So what's needed is for a person to intervene and come up with a workaround.  It is beyond absurd that no one will work with me to resolve this.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FranzKafka101 

Enter a physical address as the billing address (your personal address as you are the operator of the account) and enter the PO box as the primary address as the business address. If it lets you update the addresses in your account, I'd do it that way.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

FranzKafka101
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, but Paypal wants to verify my business address and won't accept PO Boxes.  All my correspondence comes to the PO Box because our rural mailbox is not secure, and I have been instructed to keep a strict separation between personal and business correspondence.  

I suppose I could change the information on my credit cards to ship to my physical address, then wait for a new bill to show up, but then I'd be compromising my security arrangements.  

The chief problem here is that no one in Paypal seems to be able to get me past the automated response gates that just ignore the particulars of the situation.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Martin

Hi FranzKafka101,

I am sorry to see you are having such an issue verifying your address. I would suggest in this case you can call our US Customer Support so they can manually verify the address with you or provide you with an alternative to resolve your issue. You will find the contact details in the Help section of your account.

Thanks

Martin 

Login to Me Too

FranzKafka101
Contributor
Contributor

Actually this persisted after repeated attempts by US Customer Service to rectify the situation.  I finally was able to locate a document that met the stringent requirements.  That still wasn't sufficient.

It turns out that it was indeed necessary to finagle the designations of the physical and PO Box.  That got the account released to "normal" state.  

Then when I tried to withdraw the money, there was "Something not right.  Please try again later".  Calling in to US Customer Support, the prompts led to a dead end where I kept hearing an explanation that didn't apply to the circumstance.  No rational explanation, no way to tunnel through to a human being.  Email customer support.  No response received after 24 hours.  

I thought about leaving it like that until I could get our local Austin TX TV consumer advocate involved, but I needed some relief.  So I refunded the customer, and they're going to pay me another way.  Slower, but no Kafka novel.  

These situations aren't all that unusual.  Check out Youtube on this topic.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.