Updating my annual income after taxes on PayPal

Bunglero
Contributor
Contributor

I recently received and email from PayPal that stated "Action needed on your account." and went on to recommend that I update my information with tax records for my credit account. I really have no problem complying, however, since I'm skeptical of emails, whenever I get a request to click a link in an email, I'll instead log into the website (paypal.com in this instance) and look for a path to what is being requested there. However, I'm finding no alert or notification or even appropriate search terms for what is being requested.

So, my question is, how do I go about doing the following without clicking the email link:

"Hello Sean, 
We periodically review your PayPal Credit account and will need your annual income after taxes to help determine if you are eligible for future credit line increases. If we don't have this information, we may not be able to increase your credit line in the future. Providing your annual income after taxes only takes a moment, and all the information you provide is securely protected. "

As a side note, I forwarded this to your scam center and the next day I was told that it was not a spoof, it was a genuine request from PayPal.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Bunglero
Contributor
Contributor

For anyone still interested in this, there now seems to be an official way to update your taxes, but seemingly only though the web site's alert system at this time. When you log in, check the notification system, and there might be an item that takes you to a form where you type in your annual income after taxes. Once I did that and verified it on the next page, the item from the notification panel was gone. I looked for a way to change it again and was unable to locate one. 

However, I copied the link and pasted it here in case anyone didn't get the notification or wants to revisit the page:

https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/credit/selfReportedIncome

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

jlavallet
New Community Member

I understand that you were notified that the email was legitimate. However, I still do not want to click a link in an email and provide financial information. Looking at the domain in the URL of the link – epl.paypal-communication.com – I have no reason to trust that domain. It is a common practice of scammers to register a one-off domain to fool would be victims. So, the question remains, how do you update your annual salary information on the PayPal website instead of clicking the hyperlink? Did you get any response from PayPal?

Login to Me Too

Bunglero
Contributor
Contributor

I contacted the help desk via email and (after one unsuccessful attempt to convey my issue) they told me the only other way is to phone into their customer service desk and give the information verbally. I personally was still unhappy with this answer.

I just can't conceive why on earth a company that has been so careful with security opted to leave this very important detail out of the process. The help desk gave me no expatiation as to why (nor was my complaint even acknowledged as a legitimate concern). The only thing that I can think of is that they are trying to determine their customer reach though email, but this seems unlikely because the target customer base would not represent the majority of users. It most likey just comes down to an oversight. Perhaps eventually they are going to understand. 

But, recently I got a snail-mail saying that my APR was raising to >25%, so I changed my defaults to not use the credit any more. 

Login to Me Too
Solved

Bunglero
Contributor
Contributor

For anyone still interested in this, there now seems to be an official way to update your taxes, but seemingly only though the web site's alert system at this time. When you log in, check the notification system, and there might be an item that takes you to a form where you type in your annual income after taxes. Once I did that and verified it on the next page, the item from the notification panel was gone. I looked for a way to change it again and was unable to locate one. 

However, I copied the link and pasted it here in case anyone didn't get the notification or wants to revisit the page:

https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/credit/selfReportedIncome

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.