Unknown contacts in send money friends and family

bjcolbert
New Community Member

I've seen this question asked in the archives but always with the wrong answer. Here it is again. 

When I go to transfer money using friends and family a bunch of icons show up that were not there before for people that are not in my contacts and do not show up in my address book in Paypal. So the question is who are these people and how did they get there and how to get rid of them.  The usual wrong answer I've seen is go to tools then settings/address book. The problem as stated above is these people do not show up in the address book so I can't delete them from there. So again, who are they? Are they just scammers who hope I'm going to make a mistake and send them money? More troubling is how did they get there. Has my Paypal account been compromised in some way? They only person I know in this list is the one with the palm trees and the same name as me. This is very disconcerting. Paypal doesn't seem to be aware of the problem or have a way to remove them. 

Any suggestions? 

PayPalF&F.JPG

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

JeffMason
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently there is no resolution to this problem?  Come on PayPal how do we resolve this?

Login to Me Too

Bruce_Fraser
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.

I'll illustrate the issue: when I click on "Send money to friends or family", below is a screenshot of the suggested names which pop up. Three of them I have sent money to. A fourth one is a friend, but I've never sent money. The other six are complete strangers. I have no idea why their names show up, especially suggesting I send money to them!

As the original poster wrote, they are NOT on my contact list. This is a totally separate matter from the Contacts.

PayPal send money names.jpg

Login to Me Too

Bruce_Fraser
Contributor
Contributor

Aaahh, I have an idea...

As I look over those names, one or two of them twig a memory from long ago. I did a one-time transaction with a couple of them ten or fifteen years ago, buying something on Ebay. Maybe the others are like that, too.

If that's what is causing this, then I suggest "one payment fifteen years ago" is hardly the criteria for including someone in the list of suggested payees!

Login to Me Too

isiDave
New Community Member

Doesn't work. None of these names show ANYWHERE in my history. So, what would happen if I accidentally select the wrong name? Sounds like I am on the hook... Speaking of on the hook, I have been on hold for over 30 minutes waiting for customer support. Gotta love how we can get stuff done here.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@isiDave

Click on send / request > under the 'names' click on 'manage contacts' > click on each i.d. and select 'remove this contact'.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Bruce_Fraser
Contributor
Contributor

Hi kernowlass,

You nailed it!

Thanks for solving the mystery.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bruce_Fraser

Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

junairene2
Contributor
Contributor
Your solution worked! Thank you!
Login to Me Too

sloden13
Contributor
Contributor
Well here it is 2021 and apparently still the same issue with no way to get my money back.😡
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.