Unable to update phone number

UnworkablePhone
New Community Member

Hello everyone,

I recently moved from Belgium to Portugal and I'm trying to add a Portuguese bank account to my PayPal. I typed in the IBAN and all is fine until the SMS confirmation step - PayPal sends the SMS to my Belgian number, which I am still using. The problem is, as I am in Portugal now, PayPal apparently "assumes" my phone number is Portuguese and when I try to update my phone number to add the international & Belgium country code (+32 or 00 32) PayPal tells me the number is invalid.  I tried the option of PayPal to call me but this did not work either.

Is there any way to add a country code to my phone number? I am not intending to buy a new SIM card anytime soon (too many contacts and confirmation codes being sent to my Belgian number) and this extremely limited and narrow policy is making me think I am completely blocked unless I use my PayPal from Belgium. Am I to understand that when using PayPal, I can only carry out operations that require an SMS confirmation code if I have a phone number from the country I am currently in...? Is there any other way to validate operations that do not require using my phone number?

Thank you in advance.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

UnworkablePhone
New Community Member

Also, just to add something to this:

I wrote to PayPal...they sent me an automated message telling me how to update my phone number, nothing more.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jae

Hi @UnworkablePhone,

PayPal accounts are country specific. Therefore, you cannot add a Portugal phone number or address to a Belgium account. You will want to close your Belgium account and create a new Portugal PayPal account to add your current information. I hope this helps!

- Jae

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.