Unable to close account

Sam123411
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to close my account but I keep getting an error message. The system tells me to contact support, but there doesn't seem to be any support channel except this community.

Sam123411_0-1597646650694.png

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sam123411 

Paypal phones are mostly non operational since covid but sometimes you get lucky.
If there is one available it will show when you click help / contact bottom left of Paypal pages for options available in your country.
Live chat is randomly available.
You can send them a message.
Or have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sam123411 

As you have not added your country to your community profile or said in your post then we can't help at the moment (Paypal varies a lot country to country).

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Sam123411
Contributor
Contributor

Hi  kernowlass

thanks for your reply. I wasn't aware of that. 

I believe that account was opened in Ireland.

Thanks
Sam

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sam123411 

Are you in Ireland then or have you moved? If so then......

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

You can however add a U.S bank account (not card) to 'most' other countries paypal accounts. This is because paypal is a U.S company and so allows this.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Sam123411
Contributor
Contributor
I moved years ago, and used a separate account since. However I would like to close that old account which is also linked to my main email address. Anyways do you know how I can contact customer service? I could not find any way to open a ticket (or they’ve hidden it very well) Thanks for your help!
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sam123411 

Paypal phones are mostly non operational since covid but sometimes you get lucky.
If there is one available it will show when you click help / contact bottom left of Paypal pages for options available in your country.
Live chat is randomly available.
You can send them a message.
Or have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Goodluckchuck
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here.

Wondering if there is a  class action lawyer dealing with this.

Login to Me Too

Sam370
New Community Member

Hi,

I'm the one who opened the original thread. I was finally able to close the account. 

1. Contacted support through the chat, as any other option was not available. Be aware that each message in the support chat is sent by a different operator, and sometimes they contradict each others
  2. After some back and forth they've identified that my account was locked for security reasons
  3. I had to change password, security questions and follow other steps to re-activate the account. There is a special page where you can go to unblock the account, but unfortunately I don't have the address. Maybe someone here can provide it.
  4. After that I was able to close it

Good luck!

Login to Me Too

I had the same thing, I want to close the account so I can recreate but in personal type but it says "Your account can't be closed", I think it prevents me from getting move to the personal account for some reason.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.